SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New Zealand newspaper article

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This article appeared in a national New Zealand newspaper today - 12 March. The reporter included an appropriate mention of 419eater.com.

(Some detail has been changed to protect the innocent)

Quote:
TAKING SCAMMERS FOR A RIDE
12 March 2008

A former scam baiter has spoken out about "scum" who fleece innocent people out of their hard-earned cash.

He wants to warn others about online conmen and tell of the humorous side of baiting them by playing an intricate game of cat and mouse.

The scam baiter despises scam artists who claim to help an orphan in a refugee camp or represent a fake charity asking for financial help to rebuild a non- existent church.

An example of how low they will go was the 2005 Boxing Day tsunami, after which scammers posed as victims and websites asked for money for aid and relief efforts.

"They'll scam people with terminal diseases," he said. "They're absolute scum."

Scam baiting involves wasting the time of fraudsters by making them believe you have fallen for their scheme.

Although he does not partake as much these days, he once spent two hours a day giving them the run- around.

He fondly remembers his first attempt, involving advance fee fraud about five years ago. An employee of a Nigerian bank claimed he was trying to access $27 million in the bank account of a European man who had been killed in a car crash.

The scammer promised to share 10 per cent of the riches with him � all he had to do was send money for bank clearance fees.

After finding the "bank employee" was listed on the scam baiting website 419eater.com, then learning how to bait safely, he replied, offering to help.

He got the scammer to visit the Western Union bank five times � eventually raising the suspicions of a bank teller who called security.

The fraudster even e-mailed him back to complain he had been made a fool of.

"He still believed I was desperately trying to send him the money he needed to proceed with the scam. I had a little chuckle to myself, it was quite satisfying."

In another case he baited a scammer in Benin, West Africa. As the game progressed, he offered to deliver the cash in person, claiming he was travelling in the area. "He got on his motor bike and rode 800 kilometres to Lagos to meet me."

He said people need to know the golden rule: "If it's a deal that sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

SCAMS � WHAT'S OUT THERE?

* Phishing: E-mails or phone calls that try to trick people into disclosing personal details.
* Advance-free fraud: Persuade people to send money in return for riches.
* Psychic and astrology: 'Maria Duvel' is one of more than 40 supposed psychics sending promotional material around New Zealand, asking for money in return for supernatural help.
* Customs fees: E-mail scam asking people who have bought goods over the Internet to pay "customs fees" or duties before their goods will be released.
* Spanish and Dutch lotteries: You've won � though you did not enter.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

* Never reply to abusive or unsolicited messages � you'll only get more.
* Use the latest operating system, and set computer to automatically update firewall, anti-virus and anti- spyware software.
* Use a strong password (at least eight characters with letters, numbers and symbols). Keep it private.
* Free downloads may include in them hidden viruses.
* Never give out logon information by e-mail. n Never use public computers, for example in Internet cafes, for banking or other financial purposes.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice one Nelson, well done.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
dh_mac
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah.. there was a posting last week from an Aucklander who is on this board and mentioned that this will be showing up on stuff.co.nz or the Dominion Post.

This could be the similar story to one that he intercepted about a craigslist or apartment scam. My memories a little foggy this morning..

Anyway - good article.

"..SCAN ME THE BANK RECEIPT AGAIN AND MAKE SURE YOU SCAN IT PROPERLY SO THAT IT CAN BE SEEINGABLE." Mr_Berkley

"...WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO UNH, TO KILL MY SELF BECAUSE OF A PARCKAGE.." Androse V1ncent-another satisfied customer of ParcelDirect

"..I AM TOTALY DISAPONTED THE WAY YOU ARE TAKING THIS TRANSACTION ...IF I HAVE KNEW YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE THIS TRANSACTRION THIS WAY ..I WIL NOT CONTACT YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME"-DR_Usman

Russia United States
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Dominion?

Ack! Laughing

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't knock the Dominion, there's over 300,000 people or more in its circulation area - including the half dozen politicians who are not out of the country on a taxpayer paid trip. Very Happy

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

good article. we need more of them out there like that

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rather than to start a new thread, I'll just hijack Nelsonsbattle's to add this article which appeared on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle this morning:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/12/MNTTVEAI9.DTL

It's great to see this subject publicized so prominently, but those were incredibly lame baits... And evidently not safe, despite his "throwaway" email addresses -- the check was delivered to his address and he freaked out.

The New Zealand story is much better!

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Nelson: I was referring to the Star Trek DS9 type Dominion.

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ You just didn't know how valid your comment was! Laughing

@Nelson, Thumbs up Now go and reward yourself with a good wave or three

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

callum wrote:
Now go and reward yourself with a good wave or three

Tomorrow Callum, I've got tha 10' mal strapped to the roofrack already Very Happy

Mortar x3
spot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan .... did you see the comments on the link you posted ?

Some interesting replies .... and a few eater references Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic