SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Vista help please: Can't play movie clips. *Sorted*

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My new laptop runs (spits) vista. When I go to, for example, youtube, it won't play video clips. It says I have javascript turned off or an old version of flash player.

I have checked my security settings and java seems to be enabled. I tried downloading adobe flash but it just seems to get stuck halfway through, and never completes the download..
I'm also having trouble visiting a photographers website that requires flash. It just won't let me in.

I'm running norton security if it helps. (which I find to be a bit anal about what it will and won't allow).

Anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris

Last edited by Mugatu on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kill Norton Security, wipe Vista, install XP.

Edit: Seriously, Kill Norton Security and try again, or try with Firefox like Hacker said.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4

Last edited by TheGreatOok on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Other than Vista? No. Are you running FireFox?

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you aren't running Firefox with the noscript plugin are you?

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ No, it's running IE.

I can't really wipe vista unfortunately, as I don't have the XP discs. Much as I'd like to. Sad

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try installing Firefox. It can automatically install the Flash plugin, so it might work for you.

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, I'm just removing Norton now, then I'll see how I get on.

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vista ( gob gob ) is a wee b*gger compared to XP

Spent days getting my mums new laptop to do all the things her old one did in XP

Chech Adobe is really installed

It took me a few trys to install the new Adobe on it for some reason.

There was stupid link kept popping up, oh cant mind what it called itself but it links to the net when installing. Click it off and remove it from showing, it seemed to actually stop Adobe installing
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu said that he/she/it tried to download Adobe Flash, but it gets stuck and never finishes downloading. So no, Nanny, It's not installed.

Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Norton removed, java enabled, laptop restarted, and it still won't download flash. I've tried 4 times now, it just freezes halfway through. Sad

hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try Firefox, see if it will automatically install Flash.

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My youngest has a laptop with Vista.
He's got VLC media player and seems happy with that.
He's aye watching video clips, downloading torrents etc

See if thats any help

Google VLC media he says
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

try this mate
http://netsharc.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/youtube-via-vlc/

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Run the Norton removal tool HUGE LONG PAGE_BLOWING LINKY
(Sorry, don't know how to turn all that into the word CLICKY)
Download the Flash file onto your desktop, right-click the file and choose Run as Administrator.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html

Just a thought - it's not getting stuck because you haven't allowed the ActiveX part to install, is it? You should see a warning bar across the width of the page between your page and the lowest of the toolbars.

Purple Flower
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your problems don't sound Vista related, so I am going to assume its relatd speciically to your browser. Here are a series of checks i would do in this case:

1.) As much as I like Vista, I don't care for IE and would rather have Firefox anyday.

2.) Download CCleaner, clean out EVERYTHING except for your saved passwords.

3.) Make sure Norton is uninstalled because Norton just plain sucks (This is often the actual cause of Internet problems for a lot of people rather than Vista) and grab AVG and get the updated MS Defender. Run both scans to make sure there isn't any malware on your computer. Or you could pay for your own prgrma and do the above.

4.) Renew your IP settings by going to the network icon, selecting Diagnose and Repair, and select "Refresh IP Settings".

5.) Reboot router.

I hope the above helps. I searched around and have found this issue also occurs occasionally on XP and even 2000 usually due to botched network settings and Norton.

A word on Norton: It sucks. It will often call itself protecting your computer by restricting your actions to the point where you can't do anything and this is NOT a Vista seific thing.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I doubt it is an IP router problem because there is access and the download starts but doesn't complete so that would not cause this problem.

I don't know vista but I can diagnose the problem with enough information. I don't think it is a browser problem. I seem to remember something like this when I use vista for a week but can't remember how I fixed it. I seem to remember one time that a download told me it failed but actually it worked but wouldn't notice it.

Is the download a full file download where you run the file after or is it one of those that download the install file which then installs automatically? Norton could cause the install to fail if it see it as not allowed. Of course you also have the nice vista user protection program which is a problem. If there is a auto install, a partial install may have set some register settings and you need to remove them. What does it look like when you think it stopped? Any messages or does it just run the dialog with no progress? I would ask you to read the logs but windoz doesn't use logs. There is one process log. I forget where it is so maybe someone here knows how to find it. Do other downloads work and just this one file is the problem?

One thing would be to look at the list of programs installed in the control panel "install remove programs". If there is some thing like flash player, uninstall it first.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It was Beyond Adobe that I was trying to remember last night.
It seemed to stop Adobe installing on my mums laptop.
Mind you iI lso had to keep clicking the allow change button
I also uninstalled the Norton free trial she had and installed AVG
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I did a service call like this last week.

Get and install firefox.

Go to tools - addons - get extensions

search for downthemall and install it.

On your hard drive create a directory for downloads, oh lets call it 'downloads' If you want you can make a shortcut to this on the desktop.

Next time you go to download you will have the option of using the downthemall addon. check that box and direct the stream to your downloads folder.

Now when you are installing, Java, flash and so on make sure you READ the little pop ups and don't deny them permission to play in Vista. This is what my last client got wrong. The pluggins had been disabled by the firewall. However in your case I don't think you are even getting that far.

Downthemall is a download accelerator It will speed up downloading by a factor of 5 or so by using multiple ports. If you are still getting cut off go back to the Firefox extension page and get a download manager that will let you resume downloads.

I would also call your ISP and complain. This sounds like an ISP or networking problem .

Good luck.
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to everyone who has suggested a fix.

In the end, I wiped Norton, removed all the little bits that it leaves behind (the annoying pop ups that tell you you need to download Norton again!) and found that activeX was already installed but not running correctly. I wiped that, then re-installed flash activeX successfully.

Thanks again!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic