SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

dissertation - any one got ebooks etc on this ?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mrluke18
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there im a longtime lurker and reader on the forum , love reading about baits etc . But being at uni my time is very much consumed.

my dissertation is on 'online fraud ' and a lot to do with 419 scams.

any one able to suggest to the the following ?

Some good areas 2 covers
some good names of some books
some links to some ebooks ?

any help wld be much apreciated , and once completed i will publish my dissertation for every one to use .

thanx
luke
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dearest Friend,

You have found it, the Mothership of "online fraud" info. Books? you need no stinking books! Read up here, "cut and paste" to your hearts desire. Your dissertation can be found here if you only look, read and learn.

Make sure you note us in your Bibliography.

** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also our sister site upstairs at www.scamwarners.com use the link at the top of the page.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
mrluke18
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks guys scamwarners has some good ground converage on a lot of things that i can include in 419 scamming

but problem is i also need some educated sources that i can refer to.

where as this site has a lot of information which can proove to be usefull i also need some books as well. any one able to note any books ?

thanxs for responces so far
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ is u sayn we isn't edumicated?
im personially ofinded! Wink

I think that most of us are self taught about online frauds (unless the stickies count). Very Happy

I'd try "search" in any internet browser. Congrats on the progress toward dissertation. Cool

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mrluke18 wrote:
i also need some books as well. any one able to note any books ?

I would start with the Bible... then print off about 100 pages of this website.. "book"? define "Book"...

Edit: ParaNoid said it nicer than I did...

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I doubt that you are going to find the book that you are looking for. Wouldn't you rather "interview" authorities on the subject though? Let's say that you were doing a dissertation on investing. Would you rather quote some book or refer to your interview with Warren Buffet? I don't mean to brag here, but we're about as good as you are going to get.

EDIT - Especially the members that have been here for a number of years.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17

Last edited by YeaWhatever on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote=YeaWhatever]I don't mean to brag here, but we're about as good as you are going to get.[/quote]

We are as good as you're going to get.

Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

YeaWhatever wrote:
Let's say that you were doing a dissertation on investing. Would you rather quote some book or refer to your interview with Warren Buffet?

Ding, ding, ding.

Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
i also need some books as well. any one able to note any books ?

There's one called Greetings In Jesus Name or something that I hear is quite good.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh gosh the librarian in me comes out again.....look for a copy of "Cyber Love's Illusion" by Anna Alden-Tirrill. It deals with the 419 love scams.

Now back to our sponsor.

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm writing my dissertation, too - submitted my proposal and got the first draft kicked back to me already.

good luck with yours!

I'd probably look at some of the literature on why people commit crimes and crimes that are easy to get away with - look at white collar crimes - discuss how this can be similar - and maybe do some interviews with some baited lads....

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
amerdos
Began Steele's Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have started to read 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' - Marina Lewycka

Hableme el unico del mundo, digame: Como te hace ese sonido, tan glorioso, que aun hora con anticipacion de el, me ha reducio a un bestia, gruendo, entusiomandose y paliptando
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There's a few contacts in this article from last October

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2003929929_scams08.html

Micho Rizo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm trying to find the same thing Mr.Luke. I have a long research paper for my Comp 2 class. I'm writing it on Nigerian 419 scams. The hard part is coming up with "Scholarly Sources". I haven't begun researching thoroughly, but through my schools online database, I am able to find tons of articles on the subject (I'm not sure on how good they are yet). See if you can access the ProQuest database. I will keep you posted on anything that I find as well.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Get a mentor here!
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most of the printed sources you will find are newspaper articles; some well done, some frightfully bad. Suffice to say that you will find more accurate info on common scams, including the whys and wherefores, here than anywhere else. I do recommend Shiver's book, "Greetings in Jesus Name".
Chibuike wrote:
look for a copy of "Cyber Love's Illusion"

Ummm, not too sure about that one. I haven't read it, but have seen some summaries that indicate that the author believes that Nigerian romance scammers are linked to Osama Bin Laden and terrorism. Confused

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're not going to get any better than the experts here. I'm not the most experienced here by a long way and I can easily pick holes in any book about 419. The problem is that we don't have any formally recognised qualifications in 419 crime, and so quoting us is not going to carry much weight. As a published author, Shiver Metimbers would have that authority; so you could interview him. His book, Greetings in Jesus Name!: The Scambaiter Letters, is a little short on exposition for your purposes, (but still well worth reading.)

Having said that, 419 Scam: Exploits of the Nigerian Con Man by Charles Tive gives a different angle, and Scamorama: Turning the Tables on Email Scammers by Eve Edelson has much the same information as you can find here, but sanctified by print.

See also an official publication by the UK police: http://www.soca.gov.uk/downloads/massMarketingFraud.pdf

There is also a fascinating piece in The New Yorker, which might be scholarly enough: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060515fa_fact

Fraudaid.com is also worth a look. Especially for the angle from the victim of fraud.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
mrluke18
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks very much people for the sources and that.

at the moment im getting a structure built up of what im actually gonna include.
thedevguy67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know of a lot more references, but they are at my office. There is much more recent scholarly stuff around, but a good place to start might be
Quote:

Baker, Richard C. 1999. �An Examination of Fraud on the Internet.� Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy 9:348-359.

Punch, Linda. 2000. �Internet Fraud�s New Threat.� Credit Card Management (April 1): 84-95.

U.S. Department of Justice. 2000. The Electronic Frontier: The Challenge of Unlawful Conduct Involving the Use of the Internet. Washington DC: U.S. Department of Justice

I have a sex dull that will f*ck you till dead - Stanley Lee
You are dirty and castrated Goat - CC Jones
Go f*ck yourself because I know your mum is sucking Satan's penis - Peggy Paiser
You must be high on your mother's frozen menstruation! - Victor Evans

Jolly Roger Safari United States United States United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Ghana Nigeria Togo South Africa
Mortar x12 Golden Pig Closed lad accounts X 2525 X 100s
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just came across this: http://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/ti121.pdf
Nothing we don't know, and a bit dated, but with full references.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
thedevguy67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are a few more recent ones
Quote:

Buchanan, Jim and Alex J. Grant. 2001. �Investigating and Prosecuting Nigerian Fraud� United States Attorney�s Bulletin November:39-47.

Dyrud, Marylyn A. 2005. �I Brought You Good News: An Analysis of Nigerian 419 Letters.� Proceedings of the 2005 Association for Business Communication Annual Convention 1-11.

Holt, Thomas J. and Danielle C. Graves. 2007. �A Qualitative Analysis of Advance Fee Fraud E-Mail Schemes� International Journal of Cyber Criminology 1:137-154.

Kich. Martin. 2005. �A Rhetorical Analysis of Funds-Transfer Scam Solicitations� Cercles 14:129-142.

Smith, Daniel Jordan. 2007. A Culture of Corruption: Everyday Deception and Popular Discontent in Nigeria. Princeton: Princeton University Press.

Smith, Russell G., Michael N. Holmes, and Philip Kaufman. 1999. Nigerian Advanced Fee Fraud: Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice, No. 121. Cannaberia: Australian Institute Criminology.

Tive, Charles. 2006. 419 Scam: Exploits of a Nigerian Con Man. New York: iUniverse.

Go f*ck yourself because I know your mum is sucking Satan's penis - Peggy Paiser

Jolly Roger Safari United States United States United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Ghana Nigeria Togo South Africa

Last edited by thedevguy67 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm thinking there was someone around here who was writing a book on 419 fraud and dropped by to get some more content matter... but I'm too lazy to look it up. Razz

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wow devguy - that's horrible APA format Laughing

Couldn't resist!

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could be MLA, Eliza... but I'm too lazy to look that up either... Laughing

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
thedevguy67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ED Laughing First thing APA style folks notice. It is actually ASR style, which BTW, is probably a horrible attempt on my part with out a style sheet next to the computer.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic