SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Why does no-one who could scam properly do it?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sunshine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK I fully admit that I am a total n00b to baiting (but getting some great help thanks to folks here and my mentor!) but I was thinking... how come if lads like the ones that land in my catcher account can make money at this with their rotten grammar, spelling and woeful faked documents that criminals in, say, Liverpool or Las Vegas who can string a correct paragraph of English together and know their way around Photoshop are not doing a "419"?

Surely they would fool a lot more people that our "100% risky free" lads in Lagos?

Apologies if this has been discussed before... Mods feel free to zap this thread if it has.

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
hacker9
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In Nigeria, it's a lot more "risky-free", at least according to the natives, because you can just give the cops part of your earnings and they'll ignore you. Elsewhere, the police tend to be more strict.

Currently running 1 hopeful leprechaun, 2 rich widows, 2 lotteries, 1 scammer, and 1 deposed NSA official.

"My command is your wish."- Bob
My Email Parser baiting tool!

pony pony pony Jolly Roger
justicebdone
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's easy to answer, the ones that are good at it already have jobs . . . we call them politicians Twisted Evil

F****** d*** motherf***** if you really sent the f****** money why don't you send the f****** control number at once cos I don't really have the time to f*** around with you anymore....you messed up my own Chritsmas too. Nathan "The Potty Mouth" Hitman

If you dont know you are now the Company Police. The Annoyed Check Lad

BACK the ATTACK
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sunshine wrote:
. . . . . . doing a "419"? . . . . .

419 is 'advance fee fraud'.
That rears its head in many ways.
There are thousands of scammers trying their luck at '419' in many guises.
There are sophisticated scams and many that are quite basic.
There are clever scammers and many that have a shortage of brain cells.
There are scammers that work together in international gangs and many who work alone.

Victims can also be from a variety of backgrounds; have a variety of educational skills; be more or less susceptible to scams or be more or less aware of the things you mention like spelling, grammar and fake documents.

I would suggest that the most successful scam baits are those that match a clever-thinking scambaiter with a not-so-clever scammer.

A successful scam, including 419 scams, only requires a gullible victim to fall for something that convinces him that it will, or may, lead to him receiving a reward.
There are also victims who, not realising that they are being scammed, are motivated by helping some poor downtrodden third-world country person to reap rewards they would otherwise be deprived of.

Never under or over estimate the intelligence or gullibility of either a scammer or a victim.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
RoyalFlush
Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You see fraud all over the world. Identity theft is a growing problem, especially here in the States. People create fake IDs to sell to high schoolers. Counterfeit money operations. Charity scams. Online-auction fraud. The list goes on and on. We have lots of fraud here in the States. And I'm sure that the UK has fraud, too. And any other place you can think of.

These types of fraud are not as risky (here in the States, anyway) as actual 419 fraud.

Good luck catching the criminal who stole a dozen identities and lived well on the victims' credit. Yes, some are caught - just like some 419 scammers are caught. The odds are in favor of the thieves, though, so it's apparently worth the risk to them.

As for poorly-written scam e-mails: well, not everybody is a complete nerd for his or her native language. If the scam e-mail is in English, it could very well go to somebody who speaks and writes English as a second...or even third...language. So even the scammers who suck at writing letters can convince victims to pay up.

It's you and your family that don't have ENOUGH BRIAN CELLS.

I am dying because of your love you,ve impacted in me.

pony
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The types of fraud practised in the west are probably far more lucrative, and much less conspicuous.

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months
Capella
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have come across one lad (passed way up the ladder due to my modality at the time) that typed perfect English and was absolutely surgical in his replys and what he wanted let alone could spoof email addys.

He was so far from the stereo typical lad its not funny, sadly and I can see why people would fall for his scams

Malaysia
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are scamms originating from the "western" countries, basically the same, but better setup. There was a nice one in Canada/US
'Erin Investments" not too long ago. And another one I can remember in the southern States where hundreds of churches were take on a ride with no destiny. It's all done a bit better and who knows how many are successful, but there are other options there too and no other options over there, so they all jump on it.
But just do a search on" US investment scam " and you'll find plenty "smart" guys there Smile

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL @ justicebdone Laughing

Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sunshine wrote:
... but I was thinking... how come if lads like the ones that land in my catcher account can make money at this with their rotten grammar, spelling and woeful faked documents that criminals in, say, Liverpool <snip> Vegas...who can string a correct paragraph of English together and know their way around Photoshop are not doing a "419"?

That's because they are too busy robbing your hub caps for Everton's meagre trophy cabinet. Laughing

As for Vegas, I think we all know who have got that pretty much sown up don't we?. Shocked

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic