SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New on here and recently had an attempted scam on me

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sunlinev1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all

I recently recieved an email in reply to an internet add to sell a mountain bike. The email offered me the asking price and asked if I would accept a cheque. As I have had successful cheque payments before I agreed but a day after I found many of my internet accounts had been attempted hacked and the email had in fact released a worm into my system. So I ignored all further emails from [email protected] but around 2 weeks later a cheque for �5000 arrived at my house unsigned and from rentokil???

What's the best way to utterly hound this idiot?

XXX'd email addy for now. TS
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi.

Would you be so kind as to post an email from this person with headers?

The hacking attempts and email virus don't necessarily mean that it came from this person, or that it was deliberate. If the bike buyer is a lad, it most likely means that the internet cafe computer he is using is infected.

What were you supposed to do with the check?

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome here, you're at the right spot.
As Tsnerd asked, we can get some info from that email and the header, that might bring us closer to your "friend".
For now, as this person has your Real Live information it would be wise to stop all communication with him. If you decide to bug this person then get yourself a Gmail or hushmail account under an assumed name of your "character" and contact him from there. Read a bit in the forum, read some stickies and you'll have an idea how you can have fun, while he is suffering and wastes his time(and money) on you and not on real victims.
And if you have questions, there's always someone around to help you.

Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the Eater, sunlinev1. Very Happy

Please take the cheque to your local bank or police and tell them you think it's dodgy. It could be stolen from a genuine Rentokill cheque book or forged, but either way, you may help alert the company and their bank in time to prevent someone getting scammed. Very Happy

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
sunlinev1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the input folks and I stopped all communication of course etc.
As for the cheque it was supposed to be for �750 not �5000! He wanted me to cash the cheque then send on the change.

Here is an extract from one of his emails with names removed for now.

CONFIRMATION AND TELEPHONE NUMBER‏
Sent: 21 January 2008 19:34:51
To: ---------------([email protected])

Hello,
I am writing to confirm to you that all is set with the shipping firm and that they are ready and set to come down to your location for the pick up after payment is done and verified..

But i must also bring your attention to the fact that the cheque you wil recieve will be made for an excess amount in which you will deudct your asking amount and forward the rebate to the shipping firm,which will cover the charges billed on me for thier services..

I do not want this deal delayed,so get back to me with confirmation of acceptance and your contact telephone number and i will forward the cheque payment ASAP.
Thanks and i hope doing good business with you..

Tom
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome sunlinev1. Very Happy

The email above is a typical rush to get you to wire the money back by Western Union so that the scammer can pick it up and disappear. He has no intention of getting the merchandise from you.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome the the eater.

What we need is the email header. Which email provider are you using?

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic