SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

BT/Virgin/Talktalk customers

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

With any of them ? It might be time to jump ship as it looks like three of the biggest ISPs in the UK are going to start selling private data.
AIUI, any http GET request sent on port 80 will be sent to a third party (phorm), ostensibly for targetted advertising/security etc but who knows where it might lead ?

It's certainly an issue as far as data protection goes and especially so for people who value thier privacy.

There's a few bits about in on the register and also at badphorm:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_documents/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/
http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?2

get your baiting forms here
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Verizon FiOs!!!! Image

Seriously, I would figure that UK would have laws about privacy of consumers and what not.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eamonn

Thanks for the heads up.

Zen might see an upsurge in business.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For once I'm glad to be with Tiscali Shocked (and I don't often say that)

Bulldog and Zen should do well from this.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I rang BT and spoke to some poor chap who knew nothing about this, but once he found out seemed as unimpressed as I am. Laughing His supervisor had heard about Phorm, and I gather they are trialling it just in Kingston atm. The opt-out info is here. It does not mention, of course, the vast amounts of money BT hope to make off the back of invading your privacy, or that it is a separate commercial organisation that will get your browsing info. Rolling Eyes

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This could be the excuse I need to finally ditch Virgin. I've been trying to get through to their call centre for a whole week now. I want to top up an account, yes! I want to give you some money Sir Richard!!!!! Hello?????

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a similar problem as you Gnasher.

I just rang up their collection department instead. That one gets picked up pretty soon and getting transferred only took a few minutes instead of hours.

I'll probably ring up and as for the opt out details soon then.
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it's nothing new, they only bring it in the open now.
Just get a script blocker for your FireFox and see how many scripts are running on every page you visit. doubleclick and google are standard blocked and every new one is added to the list. No more Google adds, no more cookies.
Yes sometimes you can't see an item or a page doesn't show up as the designer intended.
Good, I'm looking for info, not art or relevant commercial offers. If they want to make money with their website while I'm visiting, their problem.
And they are using my already slow connection to send that info to their website/collector. I don't think so.
I have blocked Ebay, enhance.com, local.com, upspriral.us, dealtime, findstuff and all their friends and now my search engine actually can find the things I'm looking for. And of course removed (never downloaded) the Google bar as doing that will give Google all rights to keep track of everything you do.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@8 - the opt out is simply that you opt out of the targetted adverts. They will still collect all the data relating to your browsing.

@bill2 - you can't (easily) block the collection as it's the http GET request that is sent to Phorm. You can block the incoming ads easilt enough.

Simply put its, at the moment it works like this like this :

1. you request a web page (via a bookmark or clicking a link)
2. your browser sends a http GET request to the distant server.
3. the request goes through a proxy at your ISP and then on to the server
4. the distant server sends the page requested.

The new way will be the same except that there will be

3a. the GET request is also sent to the PHORM server.

Phorm say that certain data will be ignored after it is delivered to them but personally I don't trust thier security or thier reliability,
It raises huge issues over personal privacy, for example there is a family computer and a 16yo son is gay but not out; he visits gay chatrooms/websites but always clears caches and keeps it to himself. His parents get delivered gay related adverts while surfing and realise it must be because of him. His right to privacy as enshrined in the Human Rights Act (Article 8 IIRC) is breached by this policy.
It is, frankly, fucking apalling and I can only see disaster coming from it. if it comes in, I will have to get myself a new line and Broadband connection (currently have BTBB free due to my job) via a reputable supplier.

Oh, and sorry for the swearing but I feel quite strongly about this Embarassed

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Oh, and sorry for the swearing but I feel quite strongly about this

And you should!
You're right if they give the info further to another server, nothing I can do about it as trying to detach myself from my IP#.
But to block the incoming info that they want on my screen for me to see, that's easy. I have my firewall block anything I don't like. The trouble is now that Billy G is using a gadget that isn't using the normal route and can pass the firewall without notice. Catroot, used to be called a Trojan by Norton, but now MS uses it to check your computer for???.
My idea, they have me invest so they can check on me? Switching to Ubuntu soon Very Happy
Or I'll have a script run random Google requests when I'm not using the internet, see if I can redirect them a bit towards puppies and bunnies Smile

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats quite worrying... Can't imagine it'll be long before all the other ISP's jump on board.

Any way to block them?
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^switch providers or use a proxy
http://www.razorproxy.com/
http://www.hidemyass.com/

there is a speed penalty with these and I wouldn't like to send too many personal details for security reasons but they will stop them collecting ad info on you.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
mrsandman
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I wondered about using a proxy, so it seems that is the way to go...

I'm not affected by it yet, just getting my tinfoil hat ready Laughing

Thanks
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just had a look at how to turn this Webwise crap off (thanks for the link Eight)

Quote:
Simply go to www.bt.com/webwise and click 'BT Webwise Off' or 'BT Webwise On'. BT Webwise uses cookies stored on your computer to capture your preference. These cookies are linked to individual computers, user accounts and browsers, so you will need to switch the service on or off from each computer, user account and browser you use. If you delete the cookie, you'll need to reset your preference. [

As I have FF set to dump all cookies after each session (apart from a few), that means I have to reset my preferences each time; otherwise they think they have the right to carry on? No thanks BT!

To be fair they do add later
Quote:
If you regularly delete your cookies and want to ensure that Webwise is permanently switched off, simply add www.oix.net to the Blocked Cookies settings in your browser. Up-to-date versions of both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox have this capability.
And that is done and done.

But do I trust BT any more? Gonna call Zen on Monday for a quote.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ON7 - turning it off via the webwise site will tell Phorm not to use the data; it will still be sent to them.

Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What an utter disgrace. I wonder if someone could write a FF extension to constantly call random web pages whenever I have my browser open. If I can�t opt out of sending them data it would be nice to at least make whatever they collect on me totally meaningless.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
mrsandman
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ This might help?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic