SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Taking the Linux plunge....

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ex Good move.
You'll like linux a lot once you get used to it. However you will probably keep a windows box around for gaming. If you can dedicate an older machine for it that would be a good move. Using VNC you can always dial in to whichever computer you want to.

To get a feel for what Linux can do check out http://distrowatch.com/ I'd recommend picking up a copy of knoppix. It's a live CD and if you do any computer work it will pay for itself the first time you use it. Laughing

To browse Apps I like to check out http://www.icewalkers.com/ they email out a list of new software releases that I get. I'd also recommend looking at http://www.kde-apps.org/ That's a page that has lots of programs for making life easier.

@Harry. Give some thought to what you want to do with the spare computer. If you just want to test out Linux, that's fine. But you could make yourself a little server for a web site, printer, music/movie server, Router, FTP site or anything else you might think of.

I'm pretty OS agnostic but I do find the Al A Carte aspects of Linux to lend itself to projects very well.
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well partitioning and formatting won't be a problem. I have software that can partition free HDD space without reinstalling Windows or formatting the HDD first.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, many distro install disks have the ability to resize partitions when installing, so special software is not required. But use what you are use to.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is a cool project list.

@JMRazor And I'd rather not have to shoot you! Laughing

http://www.oreilly.com/pub/h/4318

Quote:
Build a Cheap MacMP3/AACServer" covered how to create an awesome Mac-based digital music server. But what if you have a spare PC or a Mac that is too old to run OS X? For the old Mac, check out "Run iTunes on an Old Mac" . Otherwise, your best option is to look at creating a Linux music server for your iTunes music collection.

That's right, with an old machine you have lying around, and the best open source operating system out there, you too can easily build a jammin' music server. To make your jukebox complete, you can route your music to your stereo with AirPort Express and AirTunes.

Looks a little dated but worth a look

A more ambitious, and recent, version of this project can be found here:

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6488801276.html
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
Also, many distro install disks have the ability to resize partitions when installing, so special software is not required.

I tried that last night when I was installing Ubuntu on a Dell C840 (I'd been playing with Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Mandriver off the CD's and decided to try one full-speed) and the only way I (a computer ignoramus) could get the install to work was to allow it to use the whole volume, apparently wiping my XP SP2 installation.

No problem with that; the XP had got so flaky that it needed a reinstall anyway, but I had heard that Ubuntu would detect XP and offer a twin boot option. If it did, it didn't shout loud enough for me to hear.

Harry wrote:
I have thought about trying Ubuntu on an old computer I have. It has a 700 mhz processor with 256 ram.

I've also been playing with something called Puppy Linux on an old IBM 390 with Pentium II and 256kB RAM. I tried Xubuntu off the CD but it waaaas soooo slooooowww. Puppy seems pretty quick, so I might try an install. Both the Linux distros seemed to get tense when they detected that the IBM's BIOS was pre-2000.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ex, but it seemed topical. You will probably manage much better than I am, as you appear to actually know what you are doing.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
kurat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Live CD's are very slow if the cd doesn't "fit" into RAM.
Xubuntu is actually VERY fast Smile

Cellphone x107
"I believe that you would not want to hear more of a lawyer language and grammars" - Saint Patrick
"so for my lawyer I want to also seriously sit on the emails I have received" - Mrs. N1na M1lha
"If i don't see you guys today.I probably would starve and have no where to sleep as i cant access my account here while some are low on cash" - Jo3l Akum1ah
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have played with Puppy Linux for awhile. It's strengths are it's speed on older machines with low memory and CPUs, and it's ability to run live CD, off the harddrive, or from a flashdrive. It's fairly easy to install new software packages, too. The support forum is very good, with lots of members. I like the newer 3.01 standard version, and the TMXXine version with Ice Window Manager is very slick. I downloaded Ubuntu a few days ago to check it out, and I'm only running off the live cd right now. It's much slower than Puppy in Live CD mode, but the gui is very polished and laid out a little differently than Puppy. Puppy looks alot more like Windoze in Gnome than Ubuntu. I have had absolutely no trouble with either distro in detecting my hardware setups on two different pcs.
They both just worked from the getgo. Keeping a LiveCD of either distro, packed with a few troubleshooting utilities is nice to have around too.
If you say you have a drive that won't boot anymore, perhaps you can boot a livecd and get your stuff off the other drive, or do some repair on it, and resurrect it.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
mark2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another puppy linux user here, I run a frugal install, faster loading than the cd no messing about with the windows mbr, it flies.

I've run from the usb drive too, never tried a full hdd install tho, as I believe it doesn't run in ram then, thus it seems slower but still no slouch.
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing I have 10 years of Linux experience. Had various distros on various hardware configurations (starting with 486@100Mhz with 16-24 Mb RAM, up to my current AMD Athlon X2, with ATA, SATA, and SCSI hard drives, lots of graphic&sound cards).
Had Red Hat 4.2-8.0, Fedora Core, Mandrake, Slackware, SUSE and openSUSE. Tried Ubuntu and KUbuntu too, but didn't really liked it. Laughing Guess I'm a old school linux user, since there are some tasks I do better with a CLI instead of a graphical menu.
I prefer "full" distro's instead of "desktop" one.
My opinion on (K)Ubuntu is that it's a good beginner's choice, to get their feet wet on Linux.

My favorite up to now is Slackware, although it has some quirks that annoy me, like the mouse scroll wheel disabled by default and lack of automounting for optical and flash drives. Good solid distro, but I recommand it only to die hard users like me Wink

For an all-rounded one, Fedora Core and openSUSE are a good choice.
Mustapha Sorbum
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been using Linux for quite some time.

For a first-time user, Ubuntu/Kubuntu are definitely worth it. Each release seems more and more user-friendly.

Personally I like to tinker around a bit more than most "normal" computer users so it's ideal for me.

I have a separate PC for things that only work on Windows, which is a faster machine but my slower one works better with Linux.

Have a laptop with Vista on it as well, that quickly turned into a dual-boot with Windows rarely getting started Laughing

Help the Sorbums - donate to the Sorbum Relief Fund
(Link actually for donations to this site.)
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I had heard that Ubuntu would detect XP and offer a twin boot option. If it did, it didn't shout loud enough for me to hear.

Partitioning comes right after you've given your username. Ubuntu's site has screenshots of the entire installation process right here.

Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Data back up complete. Had to lose a couple games, but I hope its worth it. Commencing download of Ubuntu now....

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Bungo Pony
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu user here. Ubuntu comes with Gnome as the default, and I personally like it more than KDE. I found KDE to be a bit on the buggy side. You might also wanna give E17 a whirl eventually. If I wasn't happy with Gnome, that's what I would go with.

Also, you will have to install the video and MP3 codecs seperately. You can do it using synaptic (Applications -> Add/Remove)

I've almost completely migrated to Ubuntu after Windows caught a really nasty piece of malware. It took me 3 weeks to clean it out, and it's still not completely gone. I've been able to get most of my must-have Windows software running in Wine. The only thing I use Windows for now is video conversion, video capture, and video editing. The rest is all done in Linux.

Also, I wouldn't get too "settled in" yet, as the new LTS version is coming out in April. I'll be settling into that one myself, as it will be supported for three years (it'll be two before the next LTS release). Doing Ubuntu upgrades is just as painful / successful as doing upgrades in Windows.

"I don't want you to be faster than your shoes." - 1brah1m Qvattara
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bungo

Have you set up /home on a separate partition? After that a re-install/upgrade is as smooth as silk. All your settings, desktop, bookmarks are just as you left them.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Nice!

I gotta remember that!
Bungo Pony
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Have you set up /home on a separate partition?

I did when I installed 7.10 so this round should go much smoother Smile

"I don't want you to be faster than your shoes." - 1brah1m Qvattara
leccy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes no sense. What do you want to do? Create a cluster? use Windows Server and pay the costs? Browse the web? Look at the clock?

I use Windows. You don't need to waste your time to find out why Linux 'is so good'. If you have some problems or have requirements then you might want to consider your options but I dont go eating brussell sprouts to try and answer the question why other people love em.

oh.. and i only read the first post, dont think I need to read the rest but good luck and knowledge can only be a good thing as you will now be able to consider more than one option when you have a real reason to consider.

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I dont go eating brussell sprouts to try and answer the question why other people love em.
But I bet you bought a computer based on reviews from others. For some people too much knowledge is a dangerous thing. They need to have limited choices and have a required retirement plan that is out of their hands to save them from themselves and have the hood of their car welded shut so they don't have to check the oil once in a while. Others like to know, like having choices and to make their own decisions.

The multi partitions is good advice. Also, the root partition "/" only needs to be about 20gig at most. I have never gone beyond that and install a lot of system programs. Any games or programs that don't need root access that only you will run can be installed in the /home partition.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
leccy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually I agree with that but I tend not to read reviews and just spend a little time finding out anything to avoid.

I know unix more than windows. Most unix systems I dont have any monitor to look at. I used linux from day one and unix years before that and It was never really a type of system I would consider a desktop.

But that changed, Linux decided to target consumers and obviously supported by commercial and non-commercial interests. When gnome and KDE got introduced I watched a system boot up 3 x longer than expected and was like wtf is all that shit on the screen. I dont need that. It was almost artificial, like changing your desktop with software and runs slower.. more problems etc.

I've used windows for years too and rarely get any issues at all. All are self inflicted. I hear lots of people have problems. I also hear people claiming Linux is superior when actually, it's not. I make lots of mistakes but never had anything which has caused me any trauma using windows.

Out of all these OS threads I'll read the first couple of posts and stop when I see the bullshit starting. The way I see it.. is that people who mock or tell people their life would improve with Linux are the ones who must not have any clue how to manage the basics of a system. They probably had so much spyware and shit that they caused themself that they should not be giving anyone advice. I may go as far as saying that people should use Linux if they are an idiot. That way they will be less likely to be caught out opening exe's etc.

If your fairly experienced then does it really matter? If I play games and 80% of the market only provided for windows then its not my fault nor do I care about commercial politics... would i install Linux? I would not be baited nor would I like to make a choice from an idiot if I didnt know any better.

I think it's also hypocrisy that people talk about how it's so friendly and easy to use as windows but what is all this cool stuff? Its artificial decoration to create a system more like windows, and more and more of the stuff that windows was criticised for is being added to Linux.

People who base opinions on this might not have any clue about Linux. They might know Gnome desktop but you can spray paint a car but you can't really say it's better.

I'm simply being honest but I wish more people would use Linux, give them more choice and the companies are the ones who should be telling us why Linux is good.

Yes Linux is amazing but dont be fooled by what you see. If you can do all you possibly need to do and is better than your expeience with windows then choose Linux.

In fact, my browser is now more important to me than my desktop.. I couldnt care less about whats going in in the background. I never have any problems. If you are using software that is built for windows then I would not trust the alternative on Linux, same the other way around. Ever wondered why flash is shit on Linux? Well thats because its emulated because it was designed for the windows engine. If you are working on flash alot then I doubt anyone would mention this if you were to make a choice based on that. Well I dont feel I know enough to give a review or say what one is best for you. Noone knows the answer to that.

leccy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="thud419"]^^^ I haven't done it myself, but many have. So long as you install Windows first you can have both OSs on the same machine and choose between them at boot time - dual-boot. Windows doesn't play nice, so if you install it second it will wipe out the Linux install.

I understand that it is a no-brainer to do, but you may want to defrag the disk before you start, so that there is enough clear space for Linux... on the other hand that may not be necessary.[/quote]

Aaahh... thats the perfect answer if you want to mess around and dont need critical apps on 100% of the time. Very Happy Thats what I have but I have never used Linux much at all. Windows is so much better for desktop stuff and software. You'll soon realise what you boot up is what is best for you. I only have a 10g partition for Linux and another which both OS's share.

Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ leccy

My installing Linux is purely for an educational purpose, as well as having experiences to recall form when I get into my next MS vs. Apple vs. Linux debate. Wink

friday3
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
MS vs. Apple

Which will be deleted as we have agreed that we don't care to hear your thoughts on the matter.

The above text is the sole intellectual property of friday3. Reproduction without the expressed permission of Friday3 is a breach of copyright punishable be a fine of up to $50 000 (payable by check) and/or 5 years jail.

"Hubbard is a "crackpot" and of "doubtful mental background." - From FBI files concerning L, Ron Hubbard

Mods have a wonderful sense of humor; you just aren't funny

Jolly Roger
Mortar x21

Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry didn't mean it literally, Friday.

EDIT: leccy, you have no idea how many times those thoughts traversed through my brain.

leccy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Friday,

It is going to be an educational experiment which might help educate others. I would certainly be interested in these opinions or debate which has a bit of substance.

I didnt see anyone say Linux was so great but I just wanted to highlight that if you install Linux and use FF on both machines for your debate then you might want to consider using opera, IE and Firefox as well then you wouldn't need to change OS at all. Or even try combinations. I couldn't elaborate anymore since you havent specified what you will be testing and comparing.

Well, you could help explain to us your opinion after posting your initial impressions of each OS in the forum and what you were actually doing comparisons of. After that we can then check the logs and see the actual OS and browser your using and then you can come back and educate us. We can even check the response headers and see how long your page loads compare. Look forward to it.

Remember that your desktop may not be familiar to what your used to so if you want to discuss the interface as well as the OS then you will need to try Gnome, KDE etc for a fair assesment. Remember optional clocks, screensavers and text editors are freely available so it might be a good idea to consider this too before your debate.

Good luck Very Happy I hope it all goes well

Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ leccy

Basically, this is an experiment to see the pros and cons of Linux firsthand. Everything I hear about it are, in fact, long winded speeches about how Linux is everything Windows isn't. Mainly I will be testing the following:

A.) User friendliness
B.) Media playback
C.) Functionality
D.) Usability
E.) Practicality
G.) Gaming (I kind of already know this will be a joke on Linux since I know they can't fully replicate the DX API)

Other purposes of this experiment are:

A.) To see if people expose themselves to bad OS (I am NOT saying Linux is bad; just using an example) just to be different
B.) To see if Ubuntu really is just eye candy

EDIT: What got me interested in testing Linux was the following:

A.) Multiple Desktops
B.) The concept of completely free software for everyone
C.) the ability to run native programs and Windows programs through the use of the Wine emulator.

As for the Mac vs PC vs Linux thing, it all started when everyone started trolling Vista and I was its sole defender. Then I got labeled for being a troll when I fought back.... Rolling Eyes To quote myself, one shouldn't speak on subjects till they know what they are talking about, and I have been fairly acquainted with OS X already and have used all Windows versions since 3.1, so all thats left is Linux. Also, I may plan to test two other distros as well, since its not fair to test just one.

EDIT: I won't post any trollish results, just honest, feedback and criticisms.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic