SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

anti-virus software

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My late 2p...

Windows Firewall works perfectly well, never had a problem with it, and since it came out I ditched my other firewalls.

IF you have a good firewall and are smart, you can get by without any kind of AV - viruses need a way to get onto your computer, and if you don't do risky things, you're not likely to get a virus. That said, I run AVG in heuristics mode, with a rare full scan - but I've never caught a virus on my current box as I run a firewall, have common sense about what I install, etc.

Anti-adware - you're even less likely to need it if you practice good hygiene - if you don't risk viruses, you can avoid adware.

The one time I got infected was years ago - it was late, I was stupid, I couldn't be bothered to fetch my proper dvd player install discs and needed an MPEG2 decoder...didn't make that mistake again I assure you!
Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Gordon Bennett !

Similar vocation to me. I couldn't have phrased Nortons more elegantly. It's so true. I currently favour AVG AV and Spyware.

EDIT! I did use Ad Aware SE, but do not like it's successor, 2007.

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
mrbigtime
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got nothing to add except for my opinion... you know what they say about assholes...
Seems to be a lot of Norton haters... as for me ... I like norton ( internet security 08 now) on my laptop ... been using it for years... never had a virus... ... On my desktop I run pc tools... and it doesnt seem to be any faster... perhaps both slow down each machine and thats what i am used to... both are fast machines and for me they seem to be fast enough

I WANT TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR $130 CANNOT BUY ME ABOTTLE OF BEER IN MY COUNTRY

I believed you should be trying to pull my legs and let it be so as I will not like to tolerate such attitude from you

Please brother stop that joke, it is an expensive joke that can cause hyper tension.

BECAUSE IN MY VILLAGE WE DONT HAVE A TELL PHONE
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

manbiteslion wrote:
IF you have a good firewall and are smart, you can get by without any kind of AV - viruses need a way to get onto your computer, and if you don't do risky things, you're not likely to get a virus.
I'm afraid I can't agree that that's sound advice. Yes, viruses need a way to get onto your computer, but the most common ways that viruses get on your computer (e-mails, malicious websites, downloaded files) aren't going to be prevented by a firewall set up for a normal home desktop. In short: If you've connected to the internet, use an anti-virus.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
amerdos
Began Steele's Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mac user here, I am happy with Sophos Anti-Virus and File Defense, both work well in the background - but I am a typical MAC user I have had no problems yet!!!

Hableme el unico del mundo, digame: Como te hace ese sonido, tan glorioso, que aun hora con anticipacion de el, me ha reducio a un bestia, gruendo, entusiomandose y paliptando
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thread getting a little off track here, but
manbiteslion wrote:
Windows Firewall works perfectly well, never had a problem with it, and since it came out I ditched my other firewalls.

In my opinion, Windows firewall is junk as it only works one way - inwards

I believe you need a firewall that also monitors and controls outgoing traffic, just in case you get a Trojan that tries to dial home. You can also stop all the other little apps contacting their supplier unless you allow it.

Back on track on my PC and laptop (both XP Pro SP2 plus all updates)

NOD32 - paid
ZA Pro - paid
Windows Defender (used to be Giant anti-spyware until Big Bill bought it) - free
Spyware Blaster - free
Spybot S&D - free
Ewido - free (deliberately regressed from AVG antispyware free as it was junk)
Asquared - free
Adaware 2007 - free

ZAP is set so that only Outlook can email.

First three are real-time. All the others I update and scan my PC every Friday with each one, one after the other (well not with Blaster as it's an immunization app, but I update it); some catch stuff others miss - mostly tracking cookies. I do occasionally get a few false alarms on some traces, but Google is your friend.

I only surf with Firefox and I have NoScript and Adblock Add-ons

NOD does a full system scan every week, with settings from Blackspear in the NOD32 forum at Wilders.org.

I regularly check that my machines are fully stealthed by using "Shields UP" at Gibson Research, just in case something has opened a port.

Oh, and I sit behind a NATS router as well, with hardware firewall.

Never had a virus and I have been known to go to some pretty dark places. Looking to move to Linux for browsing for even more security.

Yes, I'm that paranoid with my baiting, too Very Happy

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since I was the original poster for this topic, I think I have the right to move off-topic with a totally different question. Very Happy

Thanks again for all the helpful advice, I'm up and running on my new system. BUT-- all of my IE favorites are gone. Is there any easy way to copy those from my old computer? I have to think about going back to each one individually and mailing the links to myself....

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep.

Go into the "File" pull-down menu in IE and you'll see "Import and export..." click on that and it'll start a wizard that'll create an export file of all your IE bits that you can save on your desktop.

Copy that file across to you new computer, do the same thing again but import that file and you'll have favourites, passwords and even cookies (if you want them) transferred across.

It's the only thing IE does better than FF Very Happy

[edit - congrats on the promotion. I hope this piece of advice gives good suck-up credits]

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
2891miles
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rodus wrote:
^^Dump Norton mate, waste of time and resources. Try http://www.clamxav.com/

And for the poor souls still stuck in M$-land there is also a windows version of clamav: http://w32.clamav.net/
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Late but another contented user here of AVG, Ad-aware and Spybot. They are easy to install update and use; they're even easy enough for my parents who are not exactly IT gurus. Smile

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
IE favorites

Find the Favorites folder on the old machine (in 98 it's in the Windows folder; in xp it's in the user name part of documents and settings. You may have to enable file viewing in XP). Copy to replace current Favorites.

Purple Flower
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another quick way to copy IE favorites is to locate them in the IE folder on the old computer, copy them to a jump drive and put them on the new computer in the IE folder. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Fishhead
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

late by my two cents in, i use AVG, spybot for a long time and windows firewall.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Once again, thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I've got my Favorites back, I've managed to retrieve my archived emails, I've downloaded all my virus/spyware programs, and my new computer is fully operational. Which means I can finally dump the creaky antique I've been using. I can't believe it was state-of-the-art 4 years ago....

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

Safari x 16:
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan Freizwidatt wrote:
I can finally dump the creaky

Whatever your method of "dumping" is... make sure to erase all personal data from the HD if you are getting rid of it.

Erase in NOT delete...

While the best approach is complete physical destruction of the HD, there are applications that will erase the data securely. One such application is Eraser. Set it up for the highest setting (Gutmann -- Link to a publication about this method) and erase away. Depends on the size of the HD, it may take a long time... I would do one pass at erasing the data on the drive, and when done, another pass on all unused space (should be the whole drive).

The application has a few nice features... worth IMO putting it on your new PC as well and using it.

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, yes I'm aware of that risk. I plan to keep the old hard drive and install it in a USB case to use as a backup. If ever I get rid of one I will destroy it so that no one can ever recover anything...

Safari x 16:
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan, if you're trying to avoid viruses/spyware, ditch IE in favour of Firefox. It's a hell of a lot more secure, on account of it not being so closely integrated with the OS, and having far less security holes. See secunia.com for more on this.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i use AVG both at home and at work ..never had a prob and the best part... IT FREE... due to the fact that im a cheap bastard

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My son, Radden has always told me that Norton's sucked, but I never believed him, till a few days ago. My lovely wife decided that she wanted to download a television program that she likes. She used utorrent and downloaded several episodes of the program. In the mean time, the Norton's ran out on my other 2 computers and I switched to AVG free edition. I then switched my main computer to AVG, and guess what? It found a trojan from one of her downloads. The bottom line for me is AVG anti-virus, Spybot S&D, AVG anti-spyware (paid version), and AVG anti-root kit. Not only did getting rid of Norton's make my comp run faster, but I feel better protected now.
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing I used Norton's once in my life back when I knew nothing about computers. After it didn't find several viruses (trojans) that I had on my computer, and having my computer taken in and reformatted, I learned to not trust Norton's. It was ~$60 to get your computer reformatted.

Long story short - I ended up with AVG and I've had it for several years now. I will never get rid of it since it saved me plenty of times from bad files.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't trusted Norton since before they got into AV. Their disk repair tool has only ever made matters worse when I've resorted to it.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

first thing i do when a get a new computer is get rid of nortons

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic