SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

anti-virus software

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm finally biting the bullet and replacing my clunky old computer this weekend. (Wish me luck....)

I need to install anti-virus software. I've been using Norton for the past few years and I guess it does a decent job, but I find it very annoying. "Live Update" runs randomly and slows things down to a halt. Actual scans literally take hours, and cripple the system for the duration.

Any recommendations on effective options?

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/
and Ad Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

both good, both free.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use what Rodus suggested, having sworn off Norton forever.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Avast! antivirus, Zonealarm firewall, Spybot -search and destroy plus Ad-aware. Then add Noscript and Adblock to Firefox.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NOD32!
www.virusbtn.com/ (VirusBulletin) is an independant AV tester, so far NOD32 is the best.
It's not free though. (has free trial)

Or just use Linux Smile

Cellphone x107
"I believe that you would not want to hear more of a lawyer language and grammars" - Saint Patrick
"so for my lawyer I want to also seriously sit on the emails I have received" - Mrs. N1na M1lha
"If i don't see you guys today.I probably would starve and have no where to sleep as i cant access my account here while some are low on cash" - Jo3l Akum1ah
HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AV:
AVG Free
Avast Home Edition Antivirus program.

Firewall:
ZoneAlarm

Other Malware defense tools:
Spybot
[*] When you install SpyBot, install the TeaTimer as well... it monitors the processes called/initiated. it will also protect your registry.
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
winpatrol will prevent programs from changing settings... it will not prevent the malware, but will minimize the damage.
SpywareBlaster will prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software.
Windows Defender
CCleaner Helps maintain a clean registry and other good tools...

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ As above, works well

pony pony Mortar x18
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is ZoneAlarm a good firewall these days? 2-3 years ago it had a reputation of occasionally messing your system, especially during uninstall. My advice was to leave the thing alone unless it was causing problems (and that's where a complete reinstall was in order).

My firewall of choice was the now discontinued Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, which still works fabulously on my Windows box.

HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tricia:

ZA is still a good firewall. However, based on past experience, I do not install a new version at least a couple of weeks AFTER it was released. I can remember 2 times that they release a version that bombed... one a few years ago (before they have the ZA Suite, they had only 3 products), and one for the ZA Suite about a year ago (that one was a doozy, the ZA user forum was overwhelmed with users posting "Help", that it went down for a few hours).

EDIT:
If you are installing the latest version of ZA -- UNCHECK the option for the additional tool bar... you don't need it.

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!

Last edited by HellRyder on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ ZA, AVG & adaware is what I usually put on clients computers. They seem to generate the fewest callbacks.

That is if I can't talk them into trying Linux.
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No advice, I run a Mac with Norton on it and never have had a virus, but this is the first thread I saw with Juan listed as a moderator, and wanted to say congrats!

Lets meet up later pool side at Simbas and have a few cool ones, on me.

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Dump Norton mate, waste of time and resources. Try http://www.clamxav.com/

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan, I'm partial to Avast. And now that we're valentines, you have to actually listen to me! Laughing

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another nod to AVG here.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
HANS MOLEMAN
Master of Master Baiters

Location: Halfway between the stubble jumpers and the big rocks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't wish to highjack this thread, but while we're at it, I run Norton on my Mac (G4 w/ 10.5 Leopard OS) and use Safari.
I know that Macs are mostly "security by obscurity" when it comes to virus, worms, mallware, etc.

In your opinion, is this enough or should I load up on more anti-virus?

"what is going on is that soon i am going to kill you , because you eat my money " - Malaysian hitlad

Click here to support 419Eater.com
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been fixing computers (professionally) for ten years now and I always love Norton - I can guarantee that by removing it I'll speed the computer up no end!

NOD is the best of the paid-for AVs
AVG is probably the best of the free ones - easy to monitor, too

AdAware SE (1.06r1) is my favourite anti-spyware app (though the update part is causing grief at the moment)

And I find most customers too daft to trust with a firewall. ZA is good but can go wrong (even afer it's 'uninstalled')

If/when you delete Norton, use their uninstall tool (just Google Norton Removal Tool and you'll get the latest version) cos they're too weird to just include it in the app in the first place.

Purple Flower
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Hans Moleman, nope, you can have less security, don't bother with any virus checkers if you don't want (seriously). I'm only running clam xav on my iMac as I send stuff back and forward from work and don't want to transfer a virus, not that one can effect my own machine. I don't bother on my other macs and have never worried. Norton uses up resources that a G4 running Leopard should really be using for other things. Norton is overkill really.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Juan - I use Avast for anti-virus, and Sygate for my firewall. Both are free. They work well together and seem to provide pretty good protection.

I dumped Norton over a year ago due to random problems. I then went to Panda and that was a disaster. I dumped it a few months ago because it has so many problems. The last straw came when it totally blocked my access to the Internet insisting that I renew my subscription when I still had two months of my current subscription left.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
HANS MOLEMAN
Master of Master Baiters

Location: Halfway between the stubble jumpers and the big rocks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Rodus

(Edit to add:) P.S. your avatar is.....how should I put it......distracting Shocked

"what is going on is that soon i am going to kill you , because you eat my money " - Malaysian hitlad

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rodus has this one right again. AVG kicks butt.
I would like to add that CCleaner - free at Downloads.com gets all the crap out and there's also a button that will fix your DLL issues. Not the lads DLL problems, just the ones in your computer that slow things down. Now that I run CCLeaner every day at the end of the session, Spybot and Adaware have nothing to find. CCleaner takes less than 2 secs to run if you run it daily.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
RoyalFlush
Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AVG's good stuff. I've been using it for a year and a half or so now...maybe a little longer. Free, effective, and doesn't hog system resources. Smile

It's you and your family that don't have ENOUGH BRIAN CELLS.

I am dying because of your love you,ve impacted in me.

pony
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

<br>AVG and Spybot.

Norton sucks like Paris Hilton's grandmother without her dentures in, Shocked and it still lingers around like a bad smell after uninstalling.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GordonBennett wrote:
just Google Norton Removal Tool and you'll get the latest version

I already have that in my faves for when the time comes:

Norton Removal Tool

I currently have AVG and Avast on this desktop, I used to have the Sygate firewall, but I stopped using it when they stopped supporting my version of Windows, I don't use a firewall now as my BT Home Hub has one built in, which tests show as true stealth when I check it. I did use Zonealarm for a while, but like Sheboppe who had a problem with Panda, Zonealarm kept blocking my access to the internet all of a sudden, so I ditched it for Sygate.

I have Norton 2007 on my laptop, only because it was free with my computer, come May when Norton needs paying to update it, it will be completely removed using the tool on the link above, and I will install AVG and Avast on it.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pilgrim
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GordonBennett: I too had trouble with the Adaware SE update. Then I went to their site and installed the newer version. It went in on top of the old one, and resolved everything. Probably a snazzier interface, too. I've done this on two computers, and I'll do it on a third soon.

BTW, for the OP, I use Avast!, ZA free, Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Panda Antirootkit, CCleaner, and RegSupreme. I know some folks don't like the latter, but it's worked well for me.

United Kingdom x 140 Spain x 45 Togo x 2 Bahamas, The x 9 Ivory Coast x13 Flag Monaco x 3 Nigeria x 19 United States x 6 Netherlands x 41 Switzerland x 8 New Zealand x 2 Canada x 6 Senegal Ghana x 12 Hong Kong South Africa x 4 Cayman Islands x 4 Isle Of Man x 3 Russia United Nations x 21 Belgium x 2 Grenada United Arab Emirates x 7 Malaysia x 6 Benin x 2 Filipino flag Thailand Mugu Reseller Safari x 4 Mortar x 22 Closed lad accounts x 162+ Sand Timer
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've been using AdAware and Spybot all along. When I get the new computer up and running I'll add Avast to the list and dump Norton. For that matter, I think I'll uninstall Norton on my laptop this afternoon too....

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic