SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Cropper's bathroom blog - update

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good looking bathroom eamonn I like the tile work
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Still 2 weeks away from the ceremonial breaking of the first tile ceremony.

The good news is that, yesterday, I presented a �300+ bill to the tame plasterer dude, then said 'but you don't have to pay that..' and led him to the bathroom. Shocked Game on! If, once I get all the horrible tiles off, I can give him a near enough empty room, with wires where we want them and shower pipes poking out of the wall, he will skim the lot.

Edmundo is on board for the sparks and plumbing, I am general labourer and runner (not to mention paymaster).

I bought a bog on eBay with sink, tap etc, when it comes I'm pulling the top off to see if a sparkly granite one is doable / affordable.

After looking at a bunch of tiles, I want travertine, found this stuff on eBay at �20 (plus 17.5% VAT) per Sq metre:

Just got to work out what I want, it comes in 60x40 and 30x40 sheets. Ive just been drawing the pattern in full scale on the bathroom wall cos Hayley can't imagine stuff, being a girl and all. (Puts on tin hat and retires)

Has anyone any experience of using travertine sheets like this? any big no-no's? (Apart from 'whatever you do, don't f*ck it up!')

I also bought me a heated towel thingy, comme ca:

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

travertine is not a big problem. use a good quality tile adhesive such as BAL (Topps tiles sell it IIRC).
You might have to seal the tiles after doing them as well.

get your baiting forms here
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn you Roy! You're giving SWMBO ideas again!

We're in the process of having the kitchen retiled. Tiler gave us a very optimistic estimate of 3-4 days for the job. He's been here 2 weeks & still not finished!

To be fair, he's doing a much better job than the bloke who did the bathroom. I don't think he anticipated the amount of plastering which was needed when he took the old tiles off, nor the fact that there isn't a straight wall anywhere Shocked Took an entire day to tile the area round the window - turns out whoever put the double glazing in didn't fit it in straight. Every single tile had to be individually measured & cut Crying or Very sad

Goodness knows how much this is going to end up costing. To make matters worse, I just had to fork out �120 for a new exhaust on the car & yesterday I broke my specs - varifocals which are going to set me back another �200. Crying or Very sad

Do you think locking myself in a cupboard with a bottle of Ardbeg would help?

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ After the Ardbeg, you won't be able to tell (or care) if you have your glasses on or not.

Shame you already had the bathroom done, the stone dude has a 25 Sqm pallet of travertine on Ebay. I bid �250 but didnt get to his reserve price. I only need about 7 SqM (though if I had a pallet I'd do all 4 walls) so we could have gone halves on it.

I presume your house was built by the same pissed up jokers who built mine, they wouldn't know a right angle if they tripped over it.

I see you found an avatar even scarier than my one. Shocked

According to the plasterer and Edmundo, a rebate (ie hacking a slot) in the wall will soolve the problem of the bath being a touch too long.

You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
Can I hide in the cupboard with you.
We're about to start redoing our bathroom.
Same problem as Roy, original bath is imperical while all new ones are metric it seems. So it cant be a straight forward swap.

Baths now seem to come in 1700mm or 1500mm.
What about a smaller bath with a shelf near the end Roy?

If anyone is contemplating a wet room make sure the floor slopes towards the drain!
Sounds obvious but had a disabled relative move into a house with an adapted wet room. When the shower was turned on the water flowed into the hall.
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beautiful bathroom eamonn and travertine will have to be sealed and resealed every year. I have used the 5, 10 and 15 year sealants and not seen a difference when kids are involved. I've got a Jacuzzi and am at the 50 to 1 ratio. 50 hours of maintenance for every hour of use. I suggest no whirlpool, forget the plastic tub and go cast iron. Its more but its a great investment.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wet-rooms should also have at least a 2-inch "lip" in the floor at the door... to prevent such accidents as water flowing into the hall Wink

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beware that heated towel rail Roy, we had an identical one and it rusted to hell after 18 mths due to the damp towels Confused

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I presume your house was built by the same pissed up jokers who built mine, they wouldn't know a right angle if they tripped over it.

That's being far too kind.

The angle between the side & back walls in the bathroom is over 90deg. Bath fits nice & snug at one corner & there's an inch gap at the other corner. Sad

Quote:
After the Ardbeg, you won't be able to tell (or care) if you have your glasses on or not

It's remarkable how much you come to rely on these things (specs, not Ardbeg Wink ). I've got a spare set but they're single vision only - if I put them on I need to sit around 5ft away from the computer & I can't reach the keyboard. Without them I'm about 6inches away from the screen & it's giving me a headache. Sad

Glad you like the new avatar Wink

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Rodus. That true about the towel rail rusting?
We're going to have to replace our radiator and thought the rail type looked nice but it'll get heavy use- there's 6 of us here at present.
We're thinking of getting a steel bath. The acryllic one we have cracked when something was dropped in it.

@ bearkat the bathroom was adapted so that a wheelchair user could have access , unfortunatly the twits of builders didn't check the level of the floor and no one thought to run the water before signing off the job.
This wasn't the only house that was refurbished in the complex to have this problem Rolling Eyes
Luckily I was trying to clean the builders dust off the floor before moving day and noticed it.

I'll be watching with intrest Roy.
Wish my hubby was good at DIY. We'll have to rely on tradesmen unless one of the kids suddenly shows a talent for building work.
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^yes i'm afraid it's true. We've replaced it now with one half the size that Focus said won't rust (although they are usually fairly clueless). It had a damp bath mat and towels on it nigh on every day and was in a terrible condition in the end. It's also a good idea to use a towel rack that hangs off the heated rail to eliminate direct contact.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Nanny: I agree with Rodus - beware them heated bathroom thingies. We bought one some years ago and apart from the fact that it was a proper b&(!h to install, the thermostat never seemed to work properly so it was either boiling hot or stone cold. And yes, the things rust...

@Roy: I like the sink unit. Personally, I would have dumped the bathtub completely and gone for a rainfall-shower room/cubicle. Way better than a soak in the bathtub Razz

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Roycropper

Please, no pictures of the consecration of the royal seat or of the first bang in the shower. Wink
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KD

You are such a partypooper!! Rolling Eyes

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lol, there will be a tile breaking ceremony when we get started, but no we can launch the loo in private.

We once had a bang in a hotel's corner bath, and managed to move it off its foundations..Embarassed

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck with it all Roy

Thanks for the info Rodus and Luther.
I'll avoid the towel rail and just go for replacing the radiator.
I was concerned that a rail wouldn't have enough heat output. Our bathroom is Victorian, narrow but longish.
We have one of those racks that hang on the radiator at the moment.
I use them around the house in damp weather to dry the washing as well.
There's some things you can't put in a tumble drier.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
There's some things you can't put in a tumble drier.

Like kittens.

I just got back from drawing all over the bathroom with marker pens, once I worked out the travertine panels are 2.5 old tiles wide by 4 high (yes that's the way up she wants them before you ask) I realized I could use it as big graph paper until I smash the tiles off.

I need 17 big 60 x 40 tiles, 14 of the smaller 40 x 40 cm ones, plus wastage and bits. What I dont know is whether I have to buy in boxes of 10, I emailed the guy about that. Also I wonder how much extra to allow for cockups?

Edmundo says we can cut them with an angle grinder, you should have seen the look he gave me when I asked if he can cut them in dead straight lines...

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Generally you buy tiles by the square metre so the number in a box depends on the size of them.

Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yay! Eater's answer to car crash TV, part deux. Laughing

I have no suggestions for you, but I do have one for Hayley: tell her to join a good spa so that she can use their showers, warm fluffy towels, and posh toiletries for however many weeks the bathroom is out of commission. She may have to join for a minimum of 6 months or a year, which would be tragically sad , of course. Wink Laughing

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Allow 10% for wastage. It should come in much lower than that, but its nice to have the extra. When you are sorting through the material, you may find stock you do not like and will not be usable. Once the project is in, a crack may develop and no new pieces will be remotely like the stuff stuck to your walls. Having something stashed away is nice. While an angle grinder will cut just about anything, the dust from it is horrific. I would suggest a wet saw. A cheap one with a diamond blade would run you less than $78 here in the States. With one, you could lop four corners off adjacent pieces and put in an accent piece. Having fixed visual interest points pulls the eyes in so people don't notice the screw-ups. Laughing

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And so it begins...

The vanity unit is in the garage, with the towel radiator and shower, bath is on its way, tiles and granite windowsill / unit top are about to be ordered. I have photo'd all my felt tip planning using the tiles as giant graph paper.

Anyone know how I stick a granite window sill in place? I guess I use a tube of 'I Cant Belive It's Not Nails' or whatever they call it. I am taking the tiles off the sides of the sill before I have the granite cut, as iMike said before, these houses have serious issue with right angles in places, and my window sill is definitely on the p*ss.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought we were still in the kitchen Embarassed
Good luck

pony pony Mortar x18
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would lay a granite sill on a bed of mortar, rather than use glue. I'd also hack off the plaster on the walls where it's going and replaster afterwards for a nice tidy fit.

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers for that Eammon. I may ask the plasterer not to do the sill then, so the mortar has more grip than it will on new plaster.

Edmundo is coming for tea so I can pick his brains (with fava beans and a nice Chianti).

The tiles pop off the green paint OK, the lower part is a bitch and brings half the plaster with it. I think the room was half tiled from the floor, then that ghastly shade of green above. someone tiled the rest so they never had to see it again.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic