SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

OMFG

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mug:

The penny is the smallest coin. It is worth 1/100th of the dollar. The official name is the "Cent". I suspect that it comes some how from "pence", but what do I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_%28United_States_coin%29

Does not really provide anything useful, but it is a link none the less Confused

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Man wrote:
Yes, but after we got home, my parents would stab us to death with a dull spoon and then dance on our grave singing hallelujah!

And just to keep it clear I am going to call you all "Bruce" so there is no confusion.

And you try to tell young people today about that - they won't believe you!

BTW, is there trouble down at mill?

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh yeah youngin', that's pure luxury you got there. Back in my day we had to trudge through waist deep snow in our bare feet for 10 miles to get to school and the sun was still not up, when we got there our teacher scolded us for being 2 minutes and beat us till we were half dead. You got Mud if you were really good, that was luxury. We got lovely wood shavings for our lunch. Then we had to go home the snow was shoulder height and we had trudge back through the snow for the 10miles home where our parents would give us a good beating for not being home before the sun went down...

So stop complainin' youngin' and HTFU, you're living in pure luxury.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Reaper, do you even have snow?

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you are going to turn out quite alright Ex. Most people go "Yeah" when they find out that school has been canceled. I know you are not complaining about the two rides, you would have done that anyway. You are troubled about your lost opportunity to learn in school and experience things in your work study. Carry on soldier.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Man wrote:
... 1/100th of the dollar. ... the "Cent". I suspect that it comes some how from "pence", but what do I know ....

"Cent" comes from the Latin word for 100, centum. 100 as in 100 units to 1 dollar.

You can also find "cent" (= 100) in "century," "centimeter," "centigrade," etc., but not in "center."
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also centaur?

Oh wait, that is Greek, not Latin. Darn how being trylingual is a hard thing... Shocked

I try to be lingual. Very Happy

I found one, centurion (which I thought was Greek, but it is Latin). This applies in a round about way to the OP's topic too. Cool

EDITED to add something

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ParaNoid wrote:
... centurion ...

That's a Roman military rank, an officer in charge of 100 men (= captain).
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

~ kleindoofy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

Edit: I have to add this one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw&feature=related

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@KD: Shhhhhh.... nobody wants the Americans to know their money is actually metric. Very Happy
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We noticed.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
"Cent" comes from the Latin word for 100, centum. 100 as in 100 units to 1 dollar.

KD: Sorry for not being precise... but the question is where did the term PENNY come from.... I was pointing out the technical name for the coin is "cent", but I still have no idea where penny comes from... maybe George Washington had a girlfriend named Penny?

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Mortar x8
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I get the feeling that it comes from the Cent's UK equivalent, the one pence, or one penny. Some sort of colonial hangover.

I just wondered why the Americans had adopted the term....

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
In the United States and Canada, "penny" is normally used to refer to the coin - the quantity of money is a "cent." Elsewhere in the English-speaking world, the plural of "penny" is "pence" when referring to a quantity of money and "pennies" when referring to a number of coins[1]. Thus a coin worth five times as much as one penny is worth five pence, but "five pennies" means five coins, each of which is a penny.

Quote:
In the 9th century, Charlemagne declared that 240 pennies or Pfennigs should be minted from a pound of silver. A single coin thus contained 1.5 to 2 grams of silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny

Quote:
The British Penny is etymologically related to the 'Pfennig', which was also model for the Finnish Penni (1860-2001), the Polish fenig (1917-1918) and the Fening of Bosnia and Herzegovina (1998-today).

The etymology of the Pfennig is not completely clear, but seems to rely on the way coins were minted during the Middle Ages: the base material were thin flat metal discs. The value was embossed from one side, creating a pan (German Pfanne) -like coin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfennig

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok guys, conversations about pennies are a longshot away fro the original rant this thread presented. IBTL.

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I was going to split this thread into one about trudging to school (which I think was the original topic) and the other into coinage talk.

It hurt my head to try to figure out what went where.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I trudged to school to pick up a penny TS.... does that help? Laughing

Mortar x8
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It'll sort itself out TS, it's an informative thread closely related to school work anyway, Ex has learnt more from this thread than he? would have by going to school for the day anyway

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
thefife
Baiting Guru

Location: Soaked in Holy Ghost Fiyah...it tastes like chicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We must be in the same area Ex b/c there was a school delay for the rain where I am (plus you mentioned the metro bus). Of course, work started on time. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Dammit, didn't they see it was raining outside??? How can people possibly be expected to get to work on time when it's raining?

Barr. Johnny Gawa: Hello Baby.
Let hope to make it more real for good. (+2 pics of him rockin his delicate underthings)

Pastor Ramesh:Dear Mother Guch33y B4ggs in christ,
...So we want repair our tached prayer house. If you would like to help us 500 dollars it will be great help...Now I am some pictures for your kind notice. I am waiting for your reply.
Thanking you. Yours in His service (+ Banner!)

Pastor Ramesh: I dont want any luxary life ...Presently I need bicycle. It cost nearly $100 dollars. If you give this it is great need for me.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ TSnerd
dont worry we're getting an educumation like wot I got

I didn't know about Charlemagne and 240 pennies.

My son didn't trudge to school yesterday as he missed the bus so "mum's taxi" was called into service in the sleet.

Be glad we didn't start on Fahrenheit vs Centigrade.

You all do know that the Yorkshire men sketch originated in the "At last the 1948 show "
(wins points in pub trivia that bit of knowledge )
mrbigtime
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ EX 1st post raining

that sounds up to par for me...

where do you live...I am in south texas... its feb and the temp is in the 80's today... if we get a little frost on the ground they call it snow and the gov't buildings are shut down as well as the schools... people can't drive without wrecks...

I WANT TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR $130 CANNOT BUY ME ABOTTLE OF BEER IN MY COUNTRY

I believed you should be trying to pull my legs and let it be so as I will not like to tolerate such attitude from you

Please brother stop that joke, it is an expensive joke that can cause hyper tension.

BECAUSE IN MY VILLAGE WE DONT HAVE A TELL PHONE
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nanny Ogg wrote:
The pounds shillings and pence was pre 1971 ( ? )
It was also known as LSD
We now have pence and pounds
100 pence = one pound
10pence is equal to one (old ) shilling
Most of the rest of Europe have Euros

Let a colonial set the record straight. The Aussies changed from pounds/shillings/penny to dollars and cents in 1965 or 66. Then New Zealand changed in 1967 ("July the 10th, this year!") Both countries used the 10 shilling as their decimal dollar equivalent, two dollars to the pound, 120 pennies became 100 cents. All very straight forward.

When the UK changed to decimal coinage, it was feared that breaking the pound into two units could have an adverse effect on the exchange rate. So the UK retained the pound and their major unit and one pound was made up of 100 pence or new pence. As this meant that as 240 pennies was now only 100 pence and every pence was 2.4 old pennies, a half=pence was introduced - note that this is the equivalent size to the Aussie/NZ cent.

When the new coinage was introduced, the name of the smallest unit changed from penny to pence or new pence to distinquish between the two coins of different values.

And, Nanny Ogg, 10pence is NOT equal to one (old ) shilling. 10 pence is equal to 2 shillings - its one/tenth of a pound, one tenth of 240 pennies is 24 pennies/2 shillings.

And just to further confuse our American bretheren, other units of the pound/shilling/penny days were the farthing, happenny, florin, half crown, crown and the guinea. The guinea was one pound one shilling/21 shillings, so is the equivalent to one pound 5 pence in the new currency.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, further to the Centurian being an officer in charge of 100 soldiers.

My favourite word with a latin root is decimate.

When an Roman army unit performed badly in battle, it was disciplined. All the soldiers were lined up along the edge of a bridge or aquaduct and every tenth man was pushed over the side to his death - decimal, decile, decimate all come from the same root word, one thent.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nelson . You're SO right
Sorry for my mistake

10p = 2/-
The tiny wee 5p coin is equal to 1/-

It was a long time ago. In the days of flares, bubblegum pop music and miners strikes.
Funny thought.

We've had decimal coinage all this time but dont have nicknames for the coins.
2/6 was half a crown , a shilling a Bob, 6d a tanner and 3d a thripney bit
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
My favourite word with a latin root is decimate.

When an Roman army unit performed badly in battle, it was disciplined. All the soldiers were lined up along the edge of a bridge or aquaduct and every tenth man was pushed over the side to his death.

It's a frequently abused word that some writers assume to be a synonym for "slaughter" - cf. the author of a history of the Stuka dive-bomber who described a bomb hit on a troop ship that "decimated about half the passengers". Rolling Eyes

Another author described a unit as being "literally decimated" when only one in ten survived. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic