SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Mac & Boot Camp / resolved

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

does someone here remember how to use the bata version of Boot Camp?

I bought a new internel HD for my Mac and the standad HD tool doesn't format partitions to windoz.

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria

Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrimsonSapien
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am guessing you have a Mac built on intel architecture. If so, why not google Windows boot disks download one. Than boot your Mac off floppy and format & partition the drive to Fat32 that way?

If you have Lads running US military type scams. Feel free to <a href="/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=1753">send them to me.</a> Twisted Evil
Miss Behaving
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Beta version of Bootcamp doesn't work any more - you can use it if it's already installed but you can't set it up on a new drive. You need Leopard, which includes BootCamp.

At least, I think that's what you were asking. Sorry if I've missed the point Embarassed

Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oh yeah Miss, BootCamp beta told it expired

but BootCamp is rather stupid and didn't notice when I turned my internal clock back to 2006 Smile

problem is I have no clue what to do next
my momentary internal HD already has a fat partition, and I dont want to start swapping the new one in till I know which steps to take then.

@ CrimsonSapien
I'm not sure that Mac will let me re-format a FAT32 partition to MaxOS

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Open BootCampAssistant.pkg and install BootCamp Assistant. It should install here: Applications --> Utilities --> Boot Camp Assistant. This will walk you through the setup (make sure you have a spare blank CD for the drivers disc.
Seriously though, I'd upgrade to Leopard, it's well worth it or if you really don't want to then download VMWare Fusion. http://www.vmware.com/ You can run windows under virtualisation just as fast as under BootCamp, you can set your clock to the proper time again and you won't have to restart every time you want to want to switch OS's.
And no you can't reformat the partition to fat32 using Disk Utility although there probably are some 3rd party apps that will let you do this

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*sneaks into enemy territory*

Doesn't Mac pride itself on being different from Windows? Why do they feel they need to market their overpriced stuff by offering windows a as choice when you can get the same hardware for a cheaper price with Windows?

*sneaks out*

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can't answer Agi's question then take it elsewhere, this is not a mac vs PC debate.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If the problem is partitioning the HD to the right filesystem, you could download the gparted live cd (it's Free) and boot into that, then use the GParted Partitioning tool to format it. It should be able to format as FAT32 no problem, I don't know about NTFS though.

@Ex: That's not useful. This is a request for help, not a request for snidey remarks. Edit - beaten by Mr F.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd be really careful about re-partitioning a hard drive without backing up and if you do that you may as well just back up and re-format the drive from scratch. Thats the other benefit of virtualistation, the creation of disc images with virtually any format you want and it doesn't need the re-partitioning of the whole drive.

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd second Rodus' earlier comments re Leopard & VMWare Fusion. I replaced my trusty old G4 with a nice new iMac a few weeks ago - came preinstalled with Leopard. Seems much smoother than Tiger. Tried installing XP via boot camp - worked ok, but eventually decided to go the VMWare route for the ability to run both OS's at the same time & drag & drop files from one to the other. After using the trial version for about a week, I bought the full version earlier today.

As far as I'm aware, bootcamp only works with XP SP2 or Vista. Fusion allows earlier versions to be installed - I've had Win2000 & XP SP1 running on this.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^You're spot on there mate, XP sp2 or vista are the only ones that will work with bootcamp, and some linux distros will work too.
With Fusion you can run pretty much anything, windows, linux (I've tried 5 different distros that all work) even OS/2 and BeOS will run. A word of advice though, don't buy parallels. It really isn't as good and is much buggier and less user friendly the Fusion.
@iMike, you think Leopard runs smooth at the moment mate wait until the .5.2 update is released in a few weeks, heavily recompiled for Intel processors so we should be seeing a pretty impressive speed boost. Very Happy

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a 6 yo powerbook running osx.4.9. It works fine, but I want to update to the new OS when I get a Macbookpro.

Just out of curiosity, and not to spark a debate, etc, why does anyone really need Windows?

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My work uses a database based on Microsoft Access which you can't get on the Mac (Filemaker has the market sewn up there) thats my need. Otherwise there is nothing else I really need Windows for. Games-wise there are an awful lot of Mac ports these days and if I really feel the urge to become a fanatical gamer then I'll get a console. All major web browsers, office software, image manipulation software etc you can get on the mac so contrary to what *some* people would have yo believe there is all the software you need bar the very odd niche thing. OK so there is occasionally a couple of months delay on the release after windows, but that generally means less buggy software.
Basically Doc, no one 'needs' windows, oh and hang on to that Powerbook, I'm still using my PB G4 and it's the nicest laptop I've ever owned and runs Leopard brilliantly.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@doc - basically, the only things I've got installed on Windows at present are:

1) sync software for a mobile phone/pda. isync will backup contacts/photo's with my old mobile, but the pda phone gets picked up as a Windows mobile device & I've not found any way other than to use the bundled software which came with it.

2) BBC's iplayer - I can watch/listen to programmes streaming in a browser window, but it's 'nicer' to download the programme once & watch it as & when I want to. Bad marks for the beeb there!

3) my very old copy of photoshop (think it was version 6) refuses to work with the new system. I found an old (Windows only) copy of Photoshop Elements which I'm using at present. I already downloaded GIMP but not quite got to grips with it yet.

4) mapping software for a GPS unit.

Now that I've got this up & running, I was considering dumping the old PC entirely, but somewhere up in the loft I've got a whole bunch of flight simulator software which I used to have a lot of fun with, so I might just put that back together again Very Happy

@Rodus - I'm drooling already! OS/2 - dear god, I threw out a box of installation disks for that about a year ago. Never could get it to work.

edit: Also got an old G3 Powerbook which I did get running with OS 9 & OS 10.3 but it's not well at present. The power connector at the back of the machine's just flopping about - think the internal connection's bu**ered. I've been looking at soldering in a new connector, but I can't get the case apart. Uses torx screws & I can't find a tool small enough (!)

Closed lad accounts x2

"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Ah, the old sync problem. I had this with my new HTC and found this:
The Missing Sync
I liked it so much I actually paid for it. It'll sync iCal with your PDA calendar, iTunes playlists with Windows Media Player playlists and much, much more. IMO it beats Active Sync by miles. BBC iPlayer is coming out for the mac soon apparently.
Is that one of the G3 pismo powerbooks? They were one of the best Apple made and certainly worth repairing. Newer Tech made a G4 550 upgrade for the pismo and if you can track one down it'll keep you running for a few years yet with the added bonus of still being able to run classic (which I must admit I still love).

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, okay! So, Rodus, how much memory does you G4 have on it? Mine has 512 megs and a weensy 80 gig hard drive... D'ya think that might work?

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've maxed out the RAM, 1.25 GB, I too have an 80 gig HD. Remember that Leopard won't officially install on anything less then a G4 867 Mhz and 512 megs is the minimum for RAM. It will run but I'd upgrade to a gig. I'm running 2 gigs on my Intel iMac and it's very fast indeed. If you are running a slower processor you can hack the Leopard installer to run. It's very easy and here's how to do it.
http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

I'm not saying don't get a Macbook Doc, i'm just saying hang onto your PB as well. It's an excellent second/backup machine and can boot into classic which the intel macs can't unless you use sheep shaver, which is pretty crap.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dr stephen williams wrote:

Just out of curiosity, and not to spark a debate, etc, why does anyone really need Windows?

There are some programs that don't run on a mac
like SolidWorks & AutoCad.
Also I have a few programs which I'd rather not run on a system which is connected to the interwebs, if you catch my drift Wink

its not really a matter of need but of "I wanna have Crying or Very sad "

@iMike how much is VMWare? was there a problem getting rid of the Doz partition?

@Rodus: I have made a backup, problem is that the Mac HDD tool won't let me format a partition to FAT32

@Ex: I get the impression that the only thing you dislike about Mac is that you can't afford one.
If it makes you feel better*: I have no problem admitting that I'm too snobbish to get a normal Doz-PC
[edit: on the other hand I'm not too snobbish to use public transport, coz I don't own a car - go figure]
* and having prejudice confirmed usually does make people feel better

Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Rodus - Missing Sync looks interesting, might give that a try. I think it is a Pismo. No idea what the specs are though.

@Agi - quoted price for the VMWare is $79.99 which worked out around �40. If by dos partition you mean the one created by bootcamp, no, there was no problem. I used the bootcamp utility to get rid of it. I'm no techie, but I think the VMWare doesn't use a separate partition (though you can pick up the bootcamp partition with it).

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Agi, you can just have your whole HD as standard Mac format, no need to partition with Fusion. It simply allocates a new folder as your virtual hard drive and formats it for you. It will do this with any OS you use through it, Windoze, Linux etc and you can choose the size. If you only use a few apps then just set 10 gig or so.
@iMike: Pismo Specs
Pismo Upgrades

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well, I just about managed to get the fu king thing partitioned and now formatted

install new HD internally
install OSX from CD
set time to 2006
install bootcamp from stick
partition HD
install old HD internally
start windos, farmat partition on new HD in external case
start Mac from old HD
coppy all Dos files to new patition <- I'll see if that works Can't find my XPsp2 CD

it did not help that I can't start windoz from a usb device
or that the old HD needs too much power to work in the external case without that special cable I can't find either

Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Agi

Not being a Mac person this may not be a lot of help to you. However it may be of help to some reader. Your basic problem appears to me to be formatting to a combination of NTFS and Fat32.
If that is the case, this method works well.
You need access to a Win XP machine, preferably with SP2 loaded. Disconnect the CD/DVD, and install the HDD in question as a secondary master.
Go to Control Panel, administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. This will show your new HDD as Disk 1 and a summary of what partitions are on it, and size and format of partitions,
Right click to select Delete Partion(s). Then right click again to create new partitions. You can select partition size, whether primary or extended, choose format. This way you can create two partitions of the required size and choose one to be NTFS and the other FAT32.
It is best to deselect a drive figure. It will put a default drive letter of "New Volume" on each partition.
When formatted. remove disk and take it to original machine to load OS.

Hope that helps

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now got Missing Sync up & running. Couldn't figure out at first why my contacts wouldn't transfer to Address Book. Spent ages fiddling with settings on the programme & on the pda. No luck. Finally realised it was because the contacts were stored on the SIM card, not the phone. Embarassed

Closed lad accounts x2

SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Imike, yup, I had that problem too to start with,
@Agi, the external hard drive probably won't run from USB/Firewire alone unless it's specially designed to. You'll probably need a power cable for it.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

<strike>well looks like I'll have to find my XP installation CD
or is there a way to make a complete bootable clone of a Windoz system? without the installation CD?</strike>

[edit: this is the genuine article: http://www.xxclone.com/ ]

@Rodus the only drive that doesn't work without the extra power connection is the 120GB WesternDigital with a power consumption of 0.55A, which is bloody stupid because it works fine with a 60GB (1.0A) Toshiba drive and a 250GB (0.85A) Samsung.

I'm going to sell the 120GB drive and keep an emergency system on the 60GB in the external case, got no intention of mucking about with the extra cable.

@Afferbecklauder
the disk is 2 partitions, one FAT32 and one Mac OS Extended.
NTFS is read only for Mac.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic