SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Tipping in the States

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have been to the US a couple of times, and understand that tips to people in the service industry is expected as they are poorly paid, my question is would the service suffer if they were paid more and did not rely on tips.

Also is the doubling of the sales tax still a good way to work out a tip

Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Generally, a "tip" is 15% of what your bill is.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/tip_calculator.htm

I believe they do rely on tips, as they are underpaid due to the fact that they get tips.
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Radden
Helpful site

Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wikipedia has a helpful page on tipping customs in different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_by_region

I usually leave 10% of the bill. What is really starting to hack me off here in the UK is that the restaurants are automatically adding 15% to the bill for service which you can decline to pay. I usually do just that, as I suspect it goes straight to the restaurant and not the staff. Where that's the case, I leave cash on the table for the waiter instead.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
i found that out more so in london were upto 15% is added to the bill
whether or not you have had good service.
now that sucks

i normally take it off and stuff them as i have never really had good service
or a meal i would rave about.(one exception was in mortlake there is an persian/iranian restaurant which is well worth going to and very inexpensive)

sorry state of affairs really.

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing they do here in the States. If you are part of a "large" party, usually 8 - 10 or more, they automatically add a gratuity. Be watchful of this so not to double tip. Back to your first point. If they paid a decent, liveable, wage the service people would not have to rely so heavily on tips. On the other hand, if the service is really good, I always leave around 20%. If the service sucks, they get no tip from me.
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ that is now being introduced to eating establishments
in this country.

Evil or Very Mad

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to say the service in the States is much better than in the UK

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I *&%$ hate tipping! Just pay people a decent bloody wage in the first place you tight sods who own restaurants and hotels etc. Its only because we all go along with it that employers can get away with it.

I always give 10% for taxis and meals here in the UK, but if its compulsory I take offense and leave nowt.

It seems compulsory in the US, I cant remember if it was Au or NZ where a waiter ran after us because we'd left him some cash on the table..

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
was Au or NZ where a waiter

Yes down under they wouldnt tip in a canoe

kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kayak for the Shermans

Casual Occurrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the states, you should be aware of where you are, or more importantly, what the tax rate is where you are. Sometimes doubling the tax won't get you to 15%. The rate changes state by state and even by county within each state.

"When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction." - Cathartic Kate

IF YOU MEET THIS MAN ON GROUND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RAIN ABUSES ON HIM...I WOULD ADVICE YOU READ AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND HIS E-MAILS VERY WELL BEFORE YOU START INSULTING HIS PERSONALITY. - Rev. Niklas

Thank you for your Undiluted Assictance and we hope to have a Lasting business relationship with you. - Hou Weijun

YOU ARE A F***ING BASTERD!!! - [Account reported] Dr. John E. Telex/Foreign Remitance Department

<a href="/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159622">Getting into collecting accounts from ASEMs? For a breakdown of a simple example bait: Click Here</a>
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that i will stick to the 15% rule of thumb

Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always tip well even if the service is below par. When I have pizza delivered to my house I always give the delivery person $5.00. They are appreciative of the money. One delivery person told me that they fight over who is going to delivery my order because of the tip. Now I know why my za is always hot!

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In most US establishments, the wait staff makes an extremely low wage which is then supplemented by the tips. Personally, I like that approach - it allows me to pay what I think the service was worth. I remember leaving a very small tip for very poor service at one restaurant - the waitress was furious, and told us that if we didn't think the service was worth 15% then we shouldn't tip her at all. So, we didn't - I don't think that's what she really wanted!

My assumption has always been that the price of the meal would increase if the restaurant paid higher wages to the wait staff in order to cover their increased cost. Just like an increase in minimum wage - if wages go up, prices must go up as well. I'd just as soon cut out the middleman and pay what I thought the service was worth.

As Harry said above - if the service was good, and particularly for an evening meal, a 20% tip is not out of line.

edit: it's very easy to calculate a tip. Take the cost of the meal before tax, cut off the last decimal place, and there's your 10%. From that it's simple to figure either 15% o 20%. No need to worry about the tax at all.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I go on a lot of cruises, and participate in a few cruise-related message forums. Tipping is always a HUGE topic on there - someone starts a tipping thread every few days it seems, and they always follow the exact same path. Some people insist that without tips the service would suffer, others think it's just a scam for the cruise lines to be to advertise lower fares but getcha for more in the tips (which are automatically added to the bill on many lines). And all the different opinions in between. There are always huge arguments in the thread about how bad some people think the service would be if the incentive for big tips wasn't there, vs the others who insist that tipping is unnecessary and a rip-off.

Things have recently been going well enough for me financially that I've been able to upgrade my cruising to the luxury lines, which usually don't require tipping. In fact my favorite cruise line, Regent Seven Seas, actively dissuades passengers from tipping - if you try to tip a crew member they'll politely decline. And I can tell you from firsthand experience that the service is far BETTER on that line than on any other cruise line I've been on. The crew is happier - they pay them a decent wage and treat them like humans. They train them well, and pay close attention to the comment cards that all passengers are asked to fill out at the end of the cruise. There are no silly games being played by the crew, like sucking up to the people who they think will tip big, or treating passengers differently if they've tipped in advance.

I personally hate tipping -- I am of the ilk that believes that an establishment oughta just pay their workers what they are worth. If someone doesn't do their job well, they should simply lose it! If a customer gets bad service in other types of establishments where tipping isn't a factor, what do they do? They complain! If a business is getting complaints about a poor staff member, then there's their "tip" - fire his ass. The problem with tipping is that it's not a fair way to compensate employees. Some people will simply not tip, regardless of how great the service was. And there's nothing the service person can do about it.

But I am also aware that in the US (where I live) it is what it is. Food service workers are paid well below minimum wage. So I tip the standard 15%, unless it's really good service, then I'll go up to 20%. I don't like it, but I'm not going to stiff the waiters because of a poorly designed compensation package.

My parents always liked to tell the story of one of their early dates. My dad took my mom to the most exclusive restaurant in town, where they were served by the snootiest waiter who not only gave them poor service, but sneered at them, made fun of their inability to pronounce French-sounding menu items properly, and generally treated them badly. So at the end of the meal, my dad left two dimes on the table. As they were walking out the waiter rushed up to them, stuck out his hand with the two dimes in his palm, and said, "Sir, I believe you forgot something." My dad looked him square in the eye and said, "Why, you are right! I did."

Then he reached over and took back ONE of the dimes. Laughing Laughing Laughing

(I love that story.)

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
Captain Oblivious
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tipped people get way less than normal wage earners. Where I live, the normal minimum wage went up to $6.50 in 2006, but the minimum wage for tipped employees is still $2.33. So nice of the state to remember to give those employees an equal raise to cover extra costs. Rolling Eyes

Dear Captain Crunch, I verified the payment once again and the payment cannot be found.I took the payment slip to the western union office and i was held for 2hours because they thought i am impersonating. -James Hepp
You have been informed that you only have from now till Money, you are to send the money Via Western Union Money Transfer, that is your dead line of payment. Please take note. -James Lawrence
AND I DO NT WANT TO SEE THIS YOUR STUPID MAIL ANY MORE OR ELSE I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE F.B.I IN YOUR COUNTRY. USLESS THING -Thomas Akabike Robert, after one of his 13 trips to Moneygram
why most you ask again what do you go to western union to do, hope you are there to make a payment. -Shola Tan
DO NOT WRITE TO THIS OFFICE ANY LONGER.
We await your prompt response. -John Duke
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the (many) benefits of living Down Under is that tipping isn't automatically expected, but nevertheless very gratefully received when it's been earned by people providing excellent service. We tend to leave 10% in restaurants - and old UK habit - and I usually 'round up' taxi fares. Saves faffing around with change apart from anything else.

I've visited the US several times and understand that 15% tip is the norm although I once made the mistake of "only" tipping 10% in a restaurant that served crap food with crap service. The waiter and his menacing mates literally stood around the table and told me to adjust the tip if I knew what was good for me. This was in New York City, natch. Very Happy

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually like tipping. The waiters tend to work much better than if they were on straight wage. That's generally the case with most jobs... commissioned associates are more likely to go above and beyond than the old hourly or salary earners.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2

Last edited by jojobean on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frozboz
AT-AT Squad Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Same thing happened to us in the Caribbean last year. I tipped the waiter 25% (excellent waiter, great service, great food) - and he chased us down as we were leaving to give me the money back. Amazing..

Wooden Trophies: Stormtrooper Helmet - AT-AT #1 - AT-ATs #3, #4 & #5
Brass Trophy: AT-AT #2
Mortar x3
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you want to see how the restaurant business really is in the US, just rent the move Waiting... Wink

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What's really bad in the States is that the IRS figures what they think the waitstaff *should* have made in tips, and expects their share of taxes from it Evil or Very Mad

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tipping is just a way of life in the U.S. That said, whenever I visit NYC I always get tipping malaise. Since I'm usually wining and dining during those visits, I'm in the clutches of the service industries (restaurants, taxis/parking, doormen, bellhops, etc). And in NYC you can't get away with just a $1 tip (not if you will have to rely upon those guys/gals again), so I'm constantly dropping $5 bills everywhere I go....it can get a bit distressing after a while.

For lunch, I tend to tip 15% (if it's a nothing-special meal). For dinner, 20% is my standard unless service is below par, in which case I'll consider 10% or less. My wife, during college, worked a seaside restaurant. She would come home with her pockets stuffed with cash -- granted she worked 6 days a week, from 4pm to 2am, but still, good money to be made.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On one of our trips we were forced to layover after 13 hours of travel and take the first flight out the next day. I asked for a 5:30 A.M. wake up call and for a taxi to be called for a pick up at 7. They asked that we be down at the front desk at 6:30. We go down to find that the kitchen had made breakfast and the restaurant was opened an hour early. I left a nice tip to cover their extra consideration plus what I would have paid for a meal at the airport. As we were pulling out, the waitress stopped the taxi trying to explain to us that the meal was free. Oh, this was not in America. Was this thread about tipping in the US? I've never had service like this in a place that worked on tips. I have a cheap cow-orker that has never tipped the service staff at a hotel or motel. Don't forget to leave a little something to the people that cleaned your room and didn't steal your things.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
kubis
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember one bartender who I tipped the right way, over a period of time gave me some free drinks he said his boss allowed this with good customers who did the right thing tipping wise

How much to tip per drink now?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic