SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I won a cruise (telemarketer scam)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
paulgb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got a one of those "you won a cruise" phone calls a few weeks back. Rather than just hanging up, I stayed on the line to see if I could figure out who is behind it. (I've always wondered what kind of people do this sort of thing.) Now I am getting calls from the company, both automated and human (scripted).

So far, I'm not sure what the scam is. I thought it was a credit card thing, but they aren't going in that direction at all. Googling the telephone number gives a few results that indicate it is a bait-and-switch scam. The company claims to be a survey company and has a lame back-story about why they are giving away the free cruise.

Anyway, I think I have all the information I can get, any ideas on what to do to waste the company's time or money? The calls are so obviously scripted that it should be easy to throw the caller off guard, but other than that I am out of ideas.
BRUIN
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Paul - Don't try to bait them. They know who you are. Any attempt to bait them could open you up for retaliation. Best option: contact the Better Business Bureau with your information, or the attorney general of your state/province.

Bruin

Safari Ivory Coast to Ghana by Margaret Don & Angus (WIMP) - approx 524 miles, round trip

Safari Lagos to Ghana (WIMP) by Emanuel, approx 454 miles round trip

YOU CAN GO TO HAIL - Barrister Benard Koffi

YOU HAVE REALLY INCONVINSE THE CHAMBERS AND WE HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTER SUCH DIFICULTIES - Barrister Sinega Amah

I will not and will never link you up to someone that is reputable - Thomas Malcom

UR A FUCKING DESTITUTE. U WERE A DRAIN DUCK AND NOW U A SCAM FRAUDSTAR -- SMALL TIME 419. - Marcus Owen

South Africa

Hello Kitty! <--- TS certified
Buster Hyman
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The scam is often something along the lines of a super cheap thing in exchange for book an outrageously expensive thing from the same people.

For example, a free cruise but you have to book a certain flight on a certain airline at an inflated rate. Or having to book a hotel room at an inflated price...you get the idea.

The telemarketers are not usually the type to harm people and are sometimes thousands of miles away. But they can be *very* pushy since they work for a commission.
Sal Paradise
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if you're worried about calling them why not just post up their number here. id imagine if they were just cold called with a sucker theyd be happy to play along.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Telemarketing is not Advance Fee Fraud, so please don't post the number.

If these folks are bothering you, I'd suggest that you have your number placed in the No Call Registry.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Les Noise
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Free Cruise ones I've been getting have been the old Push 9 trick.. That's the one that gets long distance calls on your bill..

I believe when you received your payout you will compensate me.... .. Sure Will..

Jolly Roger

pony pony pony Mortar x11
RoyalFlush
Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I second the Do Not Call list idea. It works quite well once all the databases are updated. Give it a few weeks after you add your number(s) to the list.

It's you and your family that don't have ENOUGH BRIAN CELLS.

I am dying because of your love you,ve impacted in me.

pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic