SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Do we have any old school programmers here?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to play around with this thing 30 years ago:

Coding in hexadecimal assembler, that was a challenge!

Fight My Brute

Last edited by wokabo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I programmed in C and assembly (shudder). I probably couldn't do anything at this point. Confused

Oh, I was not a very good programmer though.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Rorschach
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Doesn�t count, but when I was in school in the late 70s we had one computer, that had been built by hand (I assume from a kit) by two of the teachers. We had one computer class a week when the entire form was supposed to share this advanced piece of technology. I don�t remember it even having a screen and when we saved a programme it got printed out on a ribbon of paper with holes punched in it, which you then had to keep until the following week�s lesson.

A friend and I persuaded one of the more academically inclined members of the class to come up with a VERY simple golf programme, which we duly printed off on the ribbon. For the rest of the year when the teacher came round to see what we were doing we�d show this to him and he�d go away happy, leaving us to get back to our games of hangman or whatever. He was brilliant at maths and stuff but didn�t have a clue otherwise. He was also slightly eccentric and very hump backed with a big nose, thick glasses and a strange voice, which added to the gaiety of life.

BRUNO HAYFORD: "you are an eel, 75% negative, 10% positive, 10% amorphous and 5% blank"
Reprob8
DIGITALIS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did some stuff on PL1, Basic, FORTRAN, and COBOL in college. I hated those damn punch cards. People would always get in the box and mix them around for a joke. I was all-world on "nested if" strings!

starstarstarstar
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Doesn�t count, but when I was in school in the late 70s we had one computer, that had been built by hand

@rohrschach: that wasn't an IMSAI 8080 by any chance? that you booted by flipping those big flat switches?

I too cut my real teeth on a C64 (Basic, assembler). The control over sound and graphics (sprites!) was heaven.

Quote:
^^ ^^ Darn the C64 tape drive.

Who remembers the frightening clackety clacking of the 1541 disk drive?

The machine is long gone, snif. I think I'll go download one of the emulators....excuse me...

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
whosthisthen
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think the only thing i could manage at that time was the zx spectrum 48k........ again along the "10 print (insert comand here)" .... saying that, as far as i'm concerned some of the greatest games ever were released at that time.. dan dare, jet set willy, and my personal favorite, jack the nipper!
Otterfan
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, you twisted my figurative arm, Lotta...

I knew Shiver under a different name (but didn't realize it until yesterday) back around 1987 until about 1990 or so when we were both subscribed to a (mainly) Commodore 64 network that ran in the UK (Compunet) and attracted many of the demo-creators, coders, musicians, bitmap artists, and associated nerds of that kind.

I knew I had heard Shiver's real name before somewhere but I hadn't made the association until I read (well, re-read several times) the first post in this thread. It was like the cartoon lightbulb-over-the-head moment when I realized where I had heard the name before and that we had been irregular correspondents on Compunet's mail system. He first contacted me when I had written a rather flattering review of one of his demos that he had uploaded to Compunet when I was doing review duties for one of the groups there.

Compunet was the place to be during that time if you were into the UK C64 demo scene, and there is a very distinctive fondness for it by most of the people who were on it at the time. Sure, it had its problems and the extra-long downtime during the legendary "upgrade" jaded almost everyone against the thing, but looking back... good memories.

I guess you had to be there.

"I have to sale something now to be able to drink water." -- Alice Idris on safari in Cotonou
"why did you waste my time like this why." -- US Army Captain William D Swenson
Hello Kitty! <--TS certified.

Easter Egg
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey! You left out the "legend" bit. No more money for you Smile

PS: I'll reply to you PM later!

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
sheila_blyge
Master Baiter

Location: Doing my worst with NN to a tied up JM under the watchful eye of the Teacup!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, ZX81 girl here, handbuilt with the help of my brother-in-law, thus saving a full �15 on the purchase price.

I lusted after a 16k RAM pack, but sadly never aspired to one.

Now I do a bit of MS Basic to tweak small databases, but nothing very interesting or clever. I guess I wouldn't be doing that if it hadn't been for the ZX81 though, which, if nothing else, gave me confidence in the brave new world of technology!

pony pony pony
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

learned PASCAL in school in the Late 80's early 90's. Big USER of game cracks.... could not program my way out of a paper bag now though.

Do know how to use my blackberry Smile

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bohigal wrote:
Who remembers the frightening clackety clacking of the 1541 disk drive?

I do. In fact I still have the machine in my basement. One of these weekends I'll clear some space on my basement pc bench and set it up again. God how many hours did I waste playing games on that thing??? Very Happy I still have 6 or 7 plastic bins filled with (now I guess it would be pirated Embarassed ) 5 1/4" disks full of games that my brother copied from his friends.

LOAD "*",8,1

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Back when as a student, I was a bit suspicious that somebody other than myself in the apartment was using my computer when I wasn't home.

Since I knew they were too techno-tardy to use a boot disk, I launched a nice little program from the HD boot sector that demanded a password. I compiled all possible passwords right into into the program (coded +128) and had the program read along with the keyboard input without a screen echo.

Any mistake (while typing!), space, or return immediately caused a tiny log file to be written on the disk, echoed 'Fuck off you bastard !' on the screen, and called this routine, (that boot-strap interrupt was valid at the time):

Code:
        cseg
        public  kill
kill:
        push    bp
        mov     bp,sp
        int     25
        pop     bp
        ret     0
        end

I caught the guy cold. Twisted Evil

Ah, the fun old days staying up all night trying to figure out why there was a endless loop, having to reboot, and reboot, ...
DrSchmoo
** Platinum Baiter **

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeh I used to create some crappy demos on the C64 using basic and assembler - was quite young when I first got it - maybe 10 - and it was not long after the C64 was first released.

Later learnt assembly on the amiga where due to improving skills I actually started writing a game with a friend - he was doing the graphics and me the code.

It was tentatively titled "viking soccer" and was going to be a top view football game in the mould of sensible soccer/kick off but with a few twists.

The field of play would be like the courtyard of a castle and there would be no out-of-bounds - the ball would bounce off the walls.

The players were going to be a mixture of ogres, elves, dwarves etc so each would have appropriate stengths and weaknesses - and a bit of biffo would be tolerated - ie ogres could smash about opponents - but their slowness was there handicap.

Sadly got apathetic and didn't get too far on the project but still have the floppies with all our work around here somewhere ....

Mascot Program Members -
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/sony_white1.jpg">Golden Star FC</a>, <A href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/amazing_grace1.jpg">Amazing Grace FC</a>, <a href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/dahunnsancelia_isdambuli1.jpg">Oscar FC</a>, <a href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/paul_chukwuma.jpg">Virtue United</a>, <a href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/jerome_akpeji4.jpg">Boy Scouts of Nigeria</a>, <a href="http://members.419eater.com/~drschmoo/trophies/sahen_warrior1.jpg">Sahen Warrior FC</a>
William Wankur
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was pretty handy with HP3000 BASIC. No terminals, only teletypes... 5 teletypes sharing a 150 baud modem. And if you wanted to save your program you had to make a papertape... yeah those were the days.

(I wonder how many miles of papertape it takes to store a gigabyte of data)

"Why are you making me feel stupid?" - Mike Tutu

$5 Million in fake checks and counting!
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My first programming job was on the Commodore Pet 8032 - it was so slow we had to write most of a payroll program in 8088 Assembler - it was like Bletchley Park in there some nights.... Confused

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All this scares me. Makes me >-------------------------------------------< this much gladder that the Pentium was invented. Hell I'm glad they invented MCA and EISA.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
WildEC
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i mucked around on a spectrum 48k for a while though my coding attempts where not exactly amazing.... though I did quite well considering I was about 8 years old at the time Smile
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In Junior High, I was taught some Pascal, very basic stuff. Creating a boot disk with a password etc...

In college, well I have a computer science Associates and a MIS Bachelors degree. So learned all sorts of fun stuff then, QBasic, C, Visual Basic, Visual C++, COBAL, RPG (report program generator), SQL, Java. Always enjoyed programming but I don't do it anymore.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh push, pop, jne, jeq, my old long-forgotten friends...how I miss you! That said, I'm typing this on a PDA lying in bed and no longer have to talk z80, 6502 or my sparse 8088 and I no longer have to keep mental track of whether location 3E20 was data or an instruction.

But to know my old friends push, pop, jeq, jne and their family are still working hard (far harder than in my day) in the processor of this PDA is kind of reassuring. And I never (hmmm, well sometimes) get narky if computers 'don't work like they should' - I see every startup, every character rendered to screen, every web page surfed from a phone as an absolutely impossibly complex miracle that it ever works at all, I really do.

Anyone else geeky enough to want to go to the Bletchley museum just to stand in the aura of the Colossus? Our technical ancestors there saved so so many lives by shortening that war it makes me teary to imagine.
Rorschach
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ bohigal

No idea I'm afraid. I wasn't exactly the most attentive student in the class. Embarassed

BRUNO HAYFORD: "you are an eel, 75% negative, 10% positive, 10% amorphous and 5% blank"
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

manbiteslion wrote:
Anyone else geeky enough to want to go to the Bletchley museum..

I did Smile I also met Tommy Flowers too (though in a totally separate place - I was dreaming!).

manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

shiver wrote:
I also met Tommy Flowers too.

Such a great name - could you imagine a Hollywood hero saving countless lives etc etc being called Tommy Flowers?

I assume then you've also admired the work on the difference engine at the Science Museum? There ain't half been some clever b*ggers...
lokie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I learned to code on an Atari 400 and later an Atari 600xl. Had a few things published in the Atari magazines of the time, but nothing really ground breaking. That was followed by an Atari 512ST where I and a few other miscreants took on the best of the Swedish demo crews and sadly came 2nd (although we did do 2 channel 22khz sound with no border before the Carebears!).

As a commercial programmer my first job was doing PLC's and SCADA systems with 6502 dev boards. And for the oldies amongst you...
Code:
PHP
PHA
TXA
PHA
TYA
PHA
TSX
LDY STACKPTR
STX STACK, Y
INY
CPY #$08
BNE PART2
LDY #$0
LABEL PART2:
LDX STACK, Y
STY STACKPTR
TXS
PLA
TAY
PLA
TAX
PLA
PLP
RTI

Interupt timer driven multitasking on a 6502. Sorry for including the code, but people my age who know the 6502 has a fixed stack page never believe we did it without some funky hardware, there you go, we did and it sucked having 26bytes of stack and not enough processor cycles to check if we ran into another processes stack space!

I finally sold out and ended up doing back office systems for DOS+Windows and later becoming a manager and torturing university graduates who think Java is cool and Haskell is useful Laughing

Adding to my oldskool credentials, I've donated code to an Atari 8bit emulator program, an ST emulator program and I'm currently porting Atari800Plus to XNA just so I can play MULE on the 360.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadly, I've never set foot in the Science Museum, much to my shame. London seems to get all the good gigs, but I usually only go there under protest Wink

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lokie wrote:
... I've donated code to an Atari 8bit emulator program, an ST emulator program ...

Magic_PC? Shocked

Honest to God - I shit you not: Just a few months ago I had a customer send me text files he had written with Signum4 using the Magic_PC emulator. In fact, I just got the index file today.

I had to install Magic_PC and Signum4 on my system and export all the text as ascii to DOS/WIN. It was full of italics and mathmatical formulae, which of course all went belly up and had to be re-coded by hand. Evil or Very Mad

I was close to killing someone. I didn't have any documentation for Magic_PC and couldn't get half of it to work.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic