SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Low tech lotto lads

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In a rather ironic turn-up for the book, considering my latest hobby, today my partner received a letter from Spain (Malaga) containing a photocopied letter purporting to come from a Euro lottery saying that they'd won!

It read just like the usual lotto email, complete with reference numbers and a phone number to call, but it said that, as the entry had been made on my partner's behalf by a company we'd never heard of (and neither will have the Spanish Chamber of Commerce, I'll bet), this nominating company would require 10% of the winnings, which we need to send them once the check has cleared in our account.

Sound familiar? No mention of WU at this stage, but I'd be willing it would come up in the phone conversation. I can hear the check presses humming across an ocean.

I'll probably drop this round to the police to let them know that there's a postage scam on in their area. It was a bit spooky, though, and I had to reassure my partner that it's nothing to do with Eater - someone had just harvested a database that had their name and address on.

Still, it's good to know that the traditional skills have not died out amongst the lads. The letter even came in an envelope with the address on a label and complete with a stamp - no low-rent franking here. So this is an expensive operation, by comparison.

Anyone collect Spanish stamps? It looks to me like a really rare one, and I'll take payment by WU for it. Smile

[Edit - a bit of gender munging]

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence

Last edited by Old No. 7 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Buster Hyman
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They have to cover the typing, editing, printing and mailing. Some will even use the services of a graphic designer. Definitely an expansive operation in comparison.

Unfortunately, that's the reason why too many have the mindset that it must be legit. After all, no scammer would go through that much trouble Rolling Eyes
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...............this nominating company would require 10% of the winnings, which we need to send them once the check has cleared in our account.......

It's a hybrid Lotto scam that develops into a cheque mule scam. You deposit the cheque they send you - you order champagne and send them 90% by WU - then the cheque bounces and you have to repay 100% to the bank and maybe face charges for depositing a fake cheque.

You can't bait it directly as they have your real life address - in case you thought of it.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
miggydude
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I mean every now is totally aware of crap that you get through your email. And believes that its all rubbish. But to receive somethiing in hte post now must have an effect. yes it costs them more, but if it looks genuine enough then I would bet they would have a better response now than perhaps what they would have done 10 years ago before the masses were online. Scams come through email now, not the post.
So yeah beware of that one!

Still might be worth baiting if you can get hold of them online!
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Gomer. Thats exactly how I read it. And no, I realize I couldn't bait it, which is why I mentioned the LEO. But thanks for the warning.

@miggydude. There is absolutely no way that I'm going to go anywhere near a criminal who has any RL details, particularly my partner's, unless I'm carrying something large calibre and loaded. This one is definitely going to get dropped, as my paranoia would kick in and nag that they could somehow work out who was doing it.

Rule #1 of fight club? Don't talk about fight club.

Rule #1 of Eater? Bait safe.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic