SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

American prosecutors to charge woman for using fake name

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This case has been getting a lot of attention in the US.

The implications for scambaiting are obvious as we all use fake names
to set up email accounts.

Quote:
Federal Grand Jury in Los Angeles Probes Missouri Girl's Internet Suicide

A federal grand jury has issued a subpoena to MySpace.com in a probe
stemming from the suicide of a Missouri teenager who received cruel
messages on the networking site that turned out to be a hoax, a
newspaper reported.
Federal prosecutors are considering charging a mother in the girl's
neighborhood with defrauding MySpace by creating a false account that
she, her daughter and a teenage employee used to fool 13-year-old
Megan Meier into believing she was communicating with a 16-year-old
boy, the Los Angeles Times said Tuesday on its Web site, citing
unidentified sources.
Laurie Levenson, a former federal prosecutor and professor at Loyola
University Law School, told The Associated Press that if the government
convened a grand jury it would be trying to create a case in which
MySpace would be the victim of a fraud meaning the person who
perpetrated the fraud could be prosecuted.
"The whole case is curious," she said, and could raise First Amendment
issues of free speech.

Link:
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4107005

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Doubtful, we do nothing like that. Can't see a baiter being extradited to Africa cos a lad slots himself. It's a tragic story but I can't see how it'd effect us.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A very sad story indeed. I remember when it happened and am still amazed that a mother could take a spat between two kids so far. Sad

I doubt that anything will come of it though as people use aliases online all the time.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, this is one of those events where the outcome is so horrific, and the conduct so reprehensible, that everyone is pulling out their hair trying to find a criminal statute that fits the fact pattern, but it's very unlikely.

Very sad though.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
leeuwen
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the context of this case *in other words death* is the reason they want to prosecute this..

The idea to me seems a bit farfetched, but I figure if they don't manage to pull this off, they will probably come up with new legislation to make it possible in the future.

It shows how afraid governments are how anonymous you can be on the internet. I'm just waiting for them to ban usernames, since those are kind of fake names right? Rolling Eyes

"IM STILL SLEEPING IN STREET WITH HEAVY CILD HERE AND I CONTACT YOU THROUGH NET
FROM THE MONEY I BEG FROM ETHIOPIA EOPLE FROM STREET. PLEASE IM WEAK AND TIRES OF LIVING WITH OUT HELP. "
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from all the other oft' repeated reasons, in our case the people we deal with are all using aliases as well, so I am not worried at all by this case.

I think the more solid way to prosecute would be on the basis of intent, but that is near impossible to prove, even if there were intent. I imagine that's why this alternative approach is being used, but everyone uses aliases online.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember hearing about this - this is just about the saddest story imaginable. Oof. Awful.

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
thefife
Baiting Guru

Location: Soaked in Holy Ghost Fiyah...it tastes like chicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At least they finally found something to charge that idiot with. But like everyone else, I don't think it will affect baiters. That woman basically drove the kid to suicide & she knew she has mental issues. Also, I think the woman is more along the lines of the scammer since she contacted the child in an effort to make her believe something that wasn't true. The woman needs to be publicly whipped.

Barr. Johnny Gawa: Hello Baby.
Let hope to make it more real for good. (+2 pics of him rockin his delicate underthings)

Pastor Ramesh:Dear Mother Guch33y B4ggs in christ,
...So we want repair our tached prayer house. If you would like to help us 500 dollars it will be great help...Now I am some pictures for your kind notice. I am waiting for your reply.
Thanking you. Yours in His service (+ Banner!)

Pastor Ramesh: I dont want any luxary life ...Presently I need bicycle. It cost nearly $100 dollars. If you give this it is great need for me.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
American prosecutors to charge woman for using fake name

That's a bit of an alarmist title to this thread.
There is nothing in the news item quoted that suggests that anyone is to be charged with using a 'fake' name.

It will be interesting to see what actually does transpire from this incident.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Federal prosecutors are considering charging a mother in the girl's
neighborhood with defrauding MySpace by creating a false account

The mother used a fake name (of a teenage boy) in setting up the
MySpace account.

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
thefife
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There you go, she defrauded Myspace by making a fake account in order to target a specific KID. That is not at all related to baiting. Baiters respond to scam emails using accounts of fake people. Baiters do not target children (or people they actually know) for the purpose of inflicting pain. Baiters do not target people who are minding their own business not scamming a soul.

Plus, if the girl hadn't killed herself, no charges would have been brought ever. They are only doing this b/c a child ended up dead & there were no existing state criminal laws to charge that dumb bitch. Apparently it's not illegal to drive people to suicide. People were so outraged about it, they had to figure out some way to hold her responsible. Leave it up to the feds to come up w/ a clever way to mete out some jail time. They can always find a way to send you straight to prison & get a nice chunk of change in fines to boot.

Let hope to make it more real for good. (+2 pics of him rockin his delicate underthings)

...So we want repair our tached prayer house. If you would like to help us 500 dollars it will be great help...Now I am some pictures for your kind notice. I am waiting for your reply.

Pastor Ramesh: I dont want any luxary life ...Presently I need bicycle. It cost nearly $100 dollars. If you give this it is great need for me.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I really do hope that this does not go through. Making this an offense against MySpace does absolutely nothing of any worth. And when they get around to drafting that new law, I hope it's about mental cruelty and not about the irrelevant fake ID. In fact, I thought that law existed already, or did the idiots only make it apply to email?

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
thefife
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Charging her for a crime against Myspace certainly doesn't seem quite just given that a 13yo is dead b/c of her internet antics. But there was no state law that would allow her to be charged her w/ the death. They could have been a little more creative about the charges IMO. But I guess if they couldn't have a sexy murder charge to prosecute they didn't want to go forward at all. It was only a kid that wound up dead & not a single garage door harmed in the process, why make a big fuss right. I really hate people, they just sux.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
haywood_jablowmi
Master of Master Baiters

Location: demoralise the lads, over and over, they will give up just crush the hope they have of getting cash!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

they can't touch me, my name really is Haywood Jablowmi, I just had cruel parents.

(this statement is 100% risky free)

Cellphone Nigeria
1x voodoo curse
"you are a cosomplitant asshole" S.Ghartey 2006 - why thank you i think.
' i sent jamaicans to kill you' Mills Kwame - you must have given them the wrong address, no one came round, i baked cookies and everything.
YOU ARE A CUR, A TRAMP, A HOBO A MISRABLE ONE FOR THAT MATTER.
WANDERING PIG.
SLAG LIKE YOU ARE NOT A MAN OF GOD GO TO HEIL I WILL NOT PRAY FOR YOU THAT AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU IS THAT WITH YOU.
Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This sounds like a paralegal journalist using quite a bit of licence. The more likely outcome after enough hype has been created is that someone will make a tort action against My Space for breach of duty of care.
I cannot see the relational link to baiters.

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WTF? Inflicting mental cruelty and child endangerment/abuse of a child/minor resulting in death, and they're unable to figure out what laws apply to the situation Question

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chill out guys. I study a lot of law and what it all comes down to is this:

1.) Its in the federal law that if one person's actions are direct cause of another crime, that person is charged with being an accessory to the crime. Or thats how it should be anyway.

2.) At the very least they could get the mother on a sex offender charge considering the pedophiliac manner of conversing with the girl (posing as a child over the internet to gain a minors trust; sound familiar?)

If the prosecutors had any brains, they could have easily made life hard for this woman. But so far all they have is a "fake" name charge.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic