SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been delaying buying one or the other player for nearly a year now, waiting to see how things play out and which format will eventually win the day. According to THIS ARTICLE Blu-ray appears to be on the verge of winning the Hi-Def war.

Does anyone here have players in either/both of these formats? I'm wondering what the real world opinion is of them.

I could of course get into trouble from her indoors and buy a dual format player, but they are very expensive here in the UK and I don't want to have a mixed format disc collection if I can help it!

Another link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7174591.stm

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
Jedi_Night
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You better watch out, Shiver! I don't think we are allowed to debate things like Blu-Ray and HD DVD!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Lol, sorry. Just being sarcastic (and TRYING to be funny!). Very Happy
Anywho, I would not blow my money on either one, frankly. I'd just go buy a regular DVD player. Believe me, I have "experienced" a Blu-Ray DVD...and, frankly, it's nothing to write home about.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It looks like the battle's going to go on for a while and it's expensive to get it wrong so I'd say go for a combi (although it may actually be cheaper to get 2 seperate units. Or just wait for a bit, the price will drop fairly quickly. The problem is that you've got different film studios backing different formats, XBOX360 with HD and PS3 with blu-ray etc. The best won't necesarily win.
I'm personally not going with either as I refuse to pay the prices for the discs.

edit: I'm with jedi, the slight quality improvement no way justifies the cost IMO.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Rodus. It's like the old VHS vs Betamax war. The less technically superior format eventually won. Some people say HD DVD is superior technically to Blu-Ray, but it's too early in the game to see which format will eventually be the standard highdef. At about 250usd per drive, it is a bit expensive at this point, at least for me.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
LaBrea
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought an upconverting DVD player to fill in the gaps watching my standard dvd collection. The upconverter part takes the 480i format and tweaks the video so it fills out your HD screen better than the HDTV's upconverting logic does.
You want to look for the DCDi logo on the panel - this indicates is uses a Faroudja chip- the best avaliable for smoothing out jagged edges on images that can occur during the upconvert process.
I bought a Denon 1730 for around $150, this and others like it are reviewd on Cnet.co.uk.

I am going to stick with it until the battle is decided.
(I backed 8-Track vs Cassette) Embarassed

"Sir I sworn an oath as a legal luminary to defend your cause in all ramification from the armpit of the law" - Barr. W4k4r4 Iss4c
pony pony pony Mortar x6 Closed lad accounts x25
Click here to help your lad miss his scam quota
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I too am holding off to see what happens. I have a 360 elite so can get an HD DVD player attachment for, I believe, $150US more but, it just hasn't proved worth it.

I may eventually get a PS3 so that would net me a Blu-Ray, but I haven't seen any most own games for it yet. So I guess I am really holding off because of gaming systems.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sony merged with NEC just so they could get both technologies - my advice really is wait and see some more, look at the amount of movies on which format - HD-DVD films theres more of them - but blu ray players more of them - and thats exactly what happened to betamax - lots of players - not a lot of content.

Blu-ray may well be winning the devices war - but its losing the content war - if i was going to make a rash gamble and it certainly would be a gamble id say HD will win the home video format but blu-ray the computer format - and the manu will be very happy with that if the video cant run on computers
it certainly wont stop piracy - id say go for the expensive dual format, i dont think the war will ever end till the next versions come out in a few more years -

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, this really reminds of the old video-tapes.
My first VCR was a Video 2000. That, in my opinion, was the greatest. You could turn around the tape and record again, just like a audio-tape. Also the quality was better than VHS...

But well, now it's HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, and I'm not gonna buy anything before there's combo-players, and I haven't seen one yet (I also haven't checked for a while, but nobody needs to know about that...).

Anyway, I'm planning to turn an old computer into a replacement for my DVD-player.

In addition to the format-problem I also suffer because of that stupid region-code.
I have a lot of DVDs which I bought in Germany, region-code 2, and after I moved to HK I of course bought DVDs here, region-code 3. Thus I need a player that is either region-free, or that I can make region-free, because I really don't see the point of wasting money to buy all my old DVDs again...

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

rootuser wrote:
... I really don't see the point of wasting money to buy all my old DVDs again...

That's what I said about my LPs and video cassettes.
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

But my current problem is that I'd have to buy them again on the same type of media, just with a different region-code.
I also bought a lot of my movies again when I switched from VHS to DVD, but not all.
And anyway, as far as I know Blu-Ray- and HD-DVD-players can play DVDs, right? So it's not that big a problem as it was with VHS...

As said, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD I'll still wait some time. I'm still quite happy with DVDs, although it's a bit annoying that I have turn "It" around in the middle of the film...

There's no need in disposing vinyls. Record-players are still made, and this probably won't stop as long as there are DJs.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, you can play regular DVDs on the new players.

I'm not only waiting for a winner, but for prices to come down so I can get a burner for my pc. I've got 3 little ones, who like to put scratches on the nice shiny objects (no matter how high I put them Very Happy). Until I can back them up like I can do to any dvd, forget it, dvd looks fine to me.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like Blu-ray may win this one!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/07/high.definition

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
B.L.Z. Bubb
Dudley Dooright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jedi_Night wrote:
Believe me, I have "experienced" a Blu-Ray DVD...and, frankly, it's nothing to write home about.

I own an HD-DVD player, and can only say "WTF"?!!

No offence, but the picture (and sound!) quality on these Hi-Def discs is incredible. Admittedly, there are some good transfers and bad ones, and I'm guessing you got to see one of the bad ones, but films like Transformers, or even older films like Tremors look amazing. Anything shot on film can be transferred to HD, and nine times out of ten will look better than ever.

It'd be a shame if HD-DVD lost out, as I prefer its menu layout (you can actually access the menu while still watching the film, unlike SD or blu-ray which takes you out of the film into a separate menu screen), but ultimately I plan to go format-neutral anyway. Edit: Oh yeah, and no region coding on HD-DVD also puts it ahead of the game in my opinion.

shiver wrote:
I could of course get into trouble from her indoors and buy a dual format player, but they are very expensive here in the UK and I don't want to have a mixed format disc collection if I can help it!

THIS may help you in the dual format department, I'm guessing you've got a fast PC lying around the house. Wink

"Please note for your information i am not boner,my name is bona Williams." - Reminded me of Shiver's "Ahoy Matey" quote...

"Maybe we should all just have an orgy and not worry about who belongs to whom." - from 419eater chat. This is what you're missing if you're not in it.

Kids, don't PostWhore for your Orange Name or you'll end up like me. Do the right thing. Donate.

Deaded Banks: Malaysia x2
pony Mortar x24
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The more I look into it, the more people I see saying don't bother. Neither technology is groundbreaking and there will be something new in the not too distant future that will do to DVD what DVD did to VHS. Buy an upscaling player but thats about as far as you really need to go (until 2010 when you can get a blu-ray/HD combi for a tenner at Lidl)

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think Toshiba are just going to roll over on this, they spent pots of money developing their HD DVD format.
And we all know by now that whichever system wins out will only be around for 5-10 years max, before something new comes along, and we're off and running again. Rolling Eyes

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

rootuser wrote:
In addition to the format-problem I also suffer because of that stupid region-code.
I have a lot of DVDs which I bought in Germany, region-code 2, and after I moved to HK I of course bought DVDs here, region-code 3. Thus I need a player that is either region-free, or that I can make region-free...

Most players can be made region free or can change region now. Just google your dvd player. For some players it is very simple, mine for instance all you do is open the player, type 9999, and then the region you want, 0 for region-free. Some involve a bit more, but most can be made region-free.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ But first there's gotta be one more extended version of Star Wars first for each format before we can move on to the next format!

@Ook: To find out how to make mine region-free I had to open it (physically with a screw-driver) to find out what chips are used. These I could find on a site about that stuff to find the proper code.
Problem is that this isn't permanent, sometimes my player forgets that setting and I have to do it again... Rolling Eyes

Mortar

pony pony
gargstang
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just reading the local paper about this. They said studios are now 5 to 2 for Blu-Ray but to wait as they are changing the Blu-Ray content that current players will not have the technology for. I am going for an upconverter for now.

[ <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133443">Intro</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12">Start Here</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24605">FAQs</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413">Rules</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117865">Safety</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32877">Ethics</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122306">Get Mentor</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028">Premium</a> - <a href="http://www.scamwarners.com/">Scam Victims</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119780">Real Banks</a> ]
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Betamax was better quality than vhs, HD is better quality than blu-ray
Quote:
By 1980, JVC's VHS format controlled 70% of the North American market. The large economy of scale allowed VHS units to be introduced to the European market at a far lower cost than the more-rare Betamax units. In the UK, Betamax held a 25% market share in 1981, but by 1986 it was down to 7.5% and continued to decline further. By 1984, forty companies utilized the VHS format in comparison with Beta's twelve. Sony finally conceded defeat in 1988 when it too began producing VHS recorders.

In Japan, Betamax had more success and eventually evolved into Enhanced Definition Betamax with 500+ lines resolution (DVD quality), but eventually both Betamax and VHS were supplanted by laser-based technology. The last Sony Betamax was produced in 2002.

Toshiba and microsoft will now fight back drop prices as did jvc and see blu ray a second betamax lol.

It wont die the death everyone predicts because 2 massive corps have a multibillion dollar industry at stake.

If microsoft suddenly do the microsoft strategy and sell the hd-dvd players at �99.99 a loss for them then sales would rocket forcing the big boys to change to the hd-dvd format - and from memory thats the sort of dirty tricks microsoft made its first 2 or 3 billion quid with lol. Xbox is sold at a loss, microsoft are probably thinking "we already have a dvd player in hd that ships at 99, if we add some toshiba looks, do a deal for some cheap parts we can sell at a loss for 2 or 3 years eliminating the competition, backed by our own personal fortune aha that sounds good

Like the one they already sell for 99 lol

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic