SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

webdesigners earn too much me thinks

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think some quotes for prices for php work are made by clicking random numbers in calc.

For a genuine website, I asked for the following:
    Member login using ssl & done with php
    Careful consideration to eliminate possible xss attacks and phishing
    scalable images and drop down menus to aid those with poor sight, and stop bots etc
    a basic guestbook thats searchable *(dont want to give too much away but thats about all it is)

Quote 1: �11,540 Excl vat
Quote 2: 2x�3360
Quote 3: �10 (i thought thats a bit low considering everyone else is in the thousands.

16 quotes later and apart from the guy who said he would do it for a tenner the cheapest quote is �5,999 are designers suddenly getting paid top rates? i offer minimum wage, for 28 days work 5.60 an hour and i might consider hiring someone for the month.

EDIT: im not offering work plz dont pm me to do the job, im moaning about how expensive things have become.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, that's expensive... except for the 3rd grader who quoted you on the last one. Very Happy

I better pay attention for my PHP classes starting at the end of the month so I can earn that kind of money on the side soon!

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
RoyalFlush
Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. I'm majoring in the wrong field. Smile
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

*grins ear to ear and gets on with work for his Web Design degree*

And TBH, you are asking for some stuff requiring a lot of design considerations and coding expertise (to the extent that you'd probably want more than 1 person working on the site), so I wouldn't consider quotes in the range of your "Quote 2" unreasonable

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

goodbye medicine, web design is where the green is at!

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
nomex419v2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

digital-one wrote:
EDIT: im not offering work plz dont pm me to do the job, im moaning about how expensive things have become.

Can I beg for it then..... Crying or Very sad

Mr. Green Mr. Green

V1.0 Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:32 pm to Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm
V2.0 Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm to present
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ OD yup definately go for the php, most work i would do myself, but when it comes to sites requiring login etc i leave it to the professionals to do the checks for exploits etc.

Ivor - yea it would have taken a team of four nearly a month to create, but most of that would be testing it against known stuff to see it doesnt fall over.

but still thats �1500 each for even the cheapest quote - a good wage - but overpriced by anyones standards lol.

As for the guy who offered to do it for a tenner - i dont think i even considered him, when everyone else was asking thousands he seemed to be too cheap or unaware of the real work involved.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That doesn't seem too expensive for outsourcing. The ball-park calculation for costs is to double salary, more if you've got employees who don't contribute to income, and then you've got to make a profit. I charge out at over five times my salary.

So for a guy on �20,000pa, you are talking �8,333pcm. Add in two PFYs on �15,000 and you've got a total of �20,833.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all: If the page uses SSL or not has no influence on the code. SSL is purely a web-server-thing, and PHP doesn't care if it's used or not as this encryption is completely transparent for the scripting-language.
If somebody would charge you for that, slap them. Except of course they charge you to apply for a signed certificate, which you will need if you don't want your unsigned SSL-certificate to act as a user-/customer-repellent.

As for security-stuff: Not only logins, but actually everything that computes user-supplied data can suffer flaws for code-/sql-injection.

Just one example:
You include pages through the parameter $_GET['page'], if you only use
Code:
include($_GET['page']);

and allow_url_fopen (or in later PHP-versions allow_url_include) is set to on this will allow the user to include an external pages which are executed within your code, and thus can do whatever your code can do, for example accessing the filesystem or database.

Testing for that kind of flaws takes time and expertise. And as said, everything that computes user-input (like form-data, passed parameters or cookies) has to be checked.
Code always has to be written with keeping in mind that ALL USERS ARE EVIL!
As said, checking for flaws needs a certain level of expertise, the programmer needs to know what are common points of attack and how to avoid them. This usually makes the code bigger than would be necessary to make it "just work", thus it takes more time.
And even when you think you did great, secure code, you still need to test it.

Then of course there are the differences on how the code is done. Is it just top-down programming without reusable passages, does it use functions for code that is needed more often or is it even object-oriented, so that certain codes is within classes that offer the most advantages in terms of adjustability and reusability.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic