SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Do not become a zombie for Storm Worm!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Doctor X wrote:
... Macs are more secure. ...

We have a rule on this site against propagating religious beliefs. Please respect that rule. Wink
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to make this thing a bit rounder:
Macs are not more secure than PCs. MacOS is more secure than Windows. But the same goes for Linux, which is also more secure than Windows.
The reason is simply that most users just buy some computer to do some stuff with and it comes with Windows, so it has the biggest share on the desktop-market, which is what's targeted by virus-writers. Thus it is only understandable that virii and other bad stuff is written for the system which is most likely to be found, Windows.

Of course using an alternative system, no matter if it is Linux, MacOS, Plan9 or anything else that doesn't have Microsoft printed all over it, does not make you invulnerable. For Linux and also MacOS virii are known, but these mostly are lab-tests and usually not found in the wild.
Problem here is that people who aren't so much into security believe that using an alternative system (mostly Linux) will protect them from everything and they don't need to worry (which is often sparked by enthusiasts that tell them how great Linux is and forget to tell it's not an absolutely uncrackable super-system) about anything anymore.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Old Coaster wrote:
I did not click on the download. I am assuming I am still clean.
What annoys me about many of these pop-ups is that there is no close button; the X in the corner is part of the graphic, just like the part that says "click here to have me pwn your PC". So by clicking on it you have to trust the pop-up to just close and not to release a malevolent pay-load. So far I haven't found that trust misplaced, but I wince every time I do it.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
Doctor X wrote:
... Macs are more secure. ...

We have a rule on this site against propagating religious beliefs. Please respect that rule. Wink

Since when have you respected a rule?

*PLONK!*

--J.D.

Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

rootuser wrote:
Just to make this thing a bit rounder:
Macs are not more secure than PCs. MacOS is more secure than Windows.

Thanks for the discussion, permission to quote?

Various Mac and Security to Gurus state that the "biggest share of the market" is rather a non-argument with respect to Mac OS--it is just harder to create viruses that are successful for it. The user, literally, has to turn the damn thing "on" for it to work.

Quote:
Problem here is that people who aren't so much into security believe that using an alternative system (mostly Linux) will protect them from everything and they don't need to worry. . . .

Absolutely. MacOS forums are littered with users who did not secure their computer wondering why they got hacked. The "defaults" have been on some updates--I am not sure about OS 10.5--to have the native Firewall off. I also heard that various filesharing is "on." These are all "bad things" from a security standpoint. One could argue that since Mac users face little to no threats, they pay far less attention to these security holes.

--J.D.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic