SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I think i have been Scammed

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

I think I am a victim of a scam. Was asked to cash a check and have the $ wired over.

I have yet to hear from the bank but would like to know if indeed it is indeed a scam, should I make a police report? What should I do? I have absolutely no intention of cheating the banks.
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It most probably is a scam. I'd say that it is to 99.9%.
Maybe there are very rare occasions where something like this really happens and even is real, but I doubt it.

Did you get to keep a percentage? What was the amount?

As what you should do now. I don't know, but I think telling the bank about it would be good. Better you tell them than they find out themselves and come to you.
That at least might show them you're an honest person and didn't mean any harm.
This will probably not help very much, but at least it might be considered that you didn't do this with bad intentions.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since you don't tell us anything about what happened, it is difficult to tell you if it is a scam. But if you were given a check by someone you don't know and asked to send the money by western union or another non traceable service, then I would guess yes.

You need to tell the bank immediately. Explain what happened and the situation. Cashing fake checks is illegal and if you let the bank find out on their own and have to contact you, it looks worse. Then contact WU or the service you used and see if they can stop the transfer. Probably not but it may be worth a try. The police can't do much for you, when you talk to the bank see what they suggest. You can also report it to the Secret Service web site for internet fraud.
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm
But they can't much for you either.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi yogil80

I am sorry to hear you've been a victim of a scam. You may also want to head over to www.scamwarners.com for more advise. Please do as Mr. Who suggested. Do not wait for the bank to discover the fraud.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I should have done my research prior to accepting that offer. It was the usual case of receiving a check, cashing it and wiring it to another country.

It was this site that actually prompted me to call western union and I managed to stop the transfer in time. I also contacted the bank to indicate that I have absolutely no intention of cheating them.

I am not familiar with the criminal/legal system here. Should I be filing a report of any sort? I was given www.ic3.gov by western union.

Thank you so much guys, I owe u all christmas presents.
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yogil80 wrote:
I owe u all christmas presents.

You better don't offer this to us...

I'm happy to hear you could stop the transfer, so at least the lad didn't get his money. And if you can return the money to the bank and say you're sorry for a couple of hundred times they might actually even decide to forget about this because you were honest and came to them, instead of waiting for them to ring at your doorbell.
Not sure about this though, but if you clarify the whole situation quickly chances for this to happen are higher than if you have a nap first.

And knowing that the lad will run to WU for nothing is already a nice little xmas gift for us. And if you can now avert all danger from authorities to come your way, then you've also made yourself a pretty nice present.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guess what?!! Just as I was typing the earlier post, that scammer called me and wondered why the $ has not gone through. He insisted that the check can't be fake and all that crap.

I was starting to think of all the scenarios that could happen..he coming to my place to stalk me etc etc etc. The package I received originated from seattle in any case.

Geez, what did i get myself into? If there is anything I can do help to promote this site, let me know.
gargstang
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At this point drop it. Ignore the person and rebait (if interested) from another email address.

[ <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133443">Intro</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12">Start Here</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24605">FAQs</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413">Rules</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117865">Safety</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32877">Ethics</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122306">Get Mentor</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028">Premium</a> - <a href="http://www.scamwarners.com/">Scam Victims</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119780">Real Banks</a> ]
Evilmike
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just drop the whole thing entirely, since he has your phone # and address. Trying to tell them the check is fake and that you're aware of the scam doesn't work, at least from the baits I work on.

If you post the mail headers here we might be able to tell you the country of origin this scammer operates from. Also, if you want to PM me the address from Seattle I might be able to help you figure out if he has a second victim on the line.

I dont want the custom to have your two consignments referred to there bondage ware house for breaking or confiscating - [mask:1]Anthony Keith Rutherford[/mask:1]
pls do not call me col sanders again - Col. John Aristide
i am weting for your mail Sir - Ben Zulu
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yogil80 wrote:
It was this site that actually prompted me to call western union and I managed to stop the transfer in time.

That is wonderful news!!! As the others have said, drop communication. It's fine to tell the scammer, that the check has been deemed fake by the bank. Then ignore them and they will move on. If neccesary, block their email addresses.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for helping me in here. I learned my lesson well and recovered all my $. Save for the fact that I am still paranoid about tat scammer coming to my house, I am otherwise feeling much better.

I do not have the originating address from seattle. In any case, I am still curious to know where that person is.

Here's the email headers:

X-Originating-IP: [69.147.75.31]
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Authentication-Results: mta180.mail.re4.yahoo.com from=yahoo.com.au; domainkeys=pass (ok)
Received: from 69.147.75.31 (HELO web62402.mail.re1.yahoo.com) (69.147.75.31) by mta180.mail.re4.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:24:52 -0800
Received: (qmail 62777 invoked by uid 60001); 20 Dec 2007 08:24:52 -0000
Domain key snipped to prevent forum blowout - SP
Received: from [80.255.41.170] by web62402.mail.re1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:24:52 EST
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:24:52 +1100 (EST)
From: Send an Instant Message "David Bromley" <[email protected]>
Reply-to: [email protected]
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the headers.

Your scum bag is in Lagos, Nigeria.

Funny old thing.... Rolling Eyes

I'm really glad you got this sorted out. Well done you.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

IP address 80.255.41.170:

Arvind Gupta
Blk 54A, Plot 10, Off Adebayo Doherty,
Off Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1,
Lagos, Nigeria

Who would have guessed?

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OMG, thanks so much.

He had no accent or whatsoever. Who would have known?
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just FYI, so no one runs off with the wrong information.

The address shown above is the address and contact information for the IP owner, i.e. the ISP internet access provider, not the actual scammer. It has nothing to do with the location of the scammer except that if the ISP is only local then the scammer is in lagos.

The scammer won't bother you. It is not in his best interests and he is only interesting in money.

What bothers me is you mention a package. How does the package fit in?

"To Serve Man"
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I meant to say a UPS 'package' containing the check. With the tracking number, I saw that it originated from seattle.

That scumbag called AT LEAST 10 times this morning....I finally picked up and told him I do not want to have anything to do with him. Geez....
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Often times, the person mailing you the check, is also a victim, hence the Seattle postmark. They believe that they too employed by the lad, to write checks for payment.

I know your natural reaction is the need to confront him for almost taking you for thousands. It's better not to....just move on and learn from the experience. Don't pick up his calls, don't answer your email. I guarantee he will go away as soon as he realizes he's not getting your money.

star star

Frederick Fokker:
Dec 11, 2007

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To add to what Lotta and DrWho have said:

You've received a check; this check, depending on the quality, cost your lad money- at some point, you may receive threatening phone calls or emails; your lad may threaten you with LEO involvement (blah, blah, you're stealing from him, blah) or you may get an email claiming to be from a LEO branch (FBI, US SS, etc) threatening you with legal action if you don't cash the check.

Pay no attention to that, should the threats come.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the advice!

I called the bank. The check was for an account which has already been closed.
thedevguy67

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear you and your money are safe. Listen to the advice offered by others. TS is right, don't worry about 'threats" -- FBI, Internpool, UN, local dog catcher etc. All lad bs. They are lazy, the will move on shortly.

If he calls back you can always tell him you have been arrested and the police need to speak to him immediately.Wink He will go away.

I have a sex dull that will f*ck you till dead - Stanley Lee
You are dirty and castrated Goat - CC Jones
Go f*ck yourself because I know your mum is sucking Satan's penis - Peggy Paiser
You must be high on your mother's frozen menstruation! - Victor Evans

Jolly Roger Safari United States United States United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Ghana Nigeria Togo South Africa
Mortar x12 Golden Pig Closed lad accounts X 2525 X 100s
XPS1710
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This whole thread is a Xmas present in itself. Hearing 419eater saved more people from the evils of 419 Scammers just makes this Xmas even better. (I got $53k worth of Auctions TKOed by Ebay the other day in a stolen account, so I was already chuffed!)

If he keeps calling just do as Devil guy says. Say you were arrested because of the cheque and your account is frozen while its all investigated - oh and they want to speak to him - he will cut and run..
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for posting here yogil80. It's always good news to learn that a scammer has been denied.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
yogil80
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't believe that lad has not given up yet. Latest email from scumbag:

I believe u have gotten the funds back as i asked my associate not too pick up the funds in other to get things worked out @ both ends... let me know what the problem is and i wanna know if you've gotten your funds back cos i dont want to put you in any trouble helping me....I felt so perplexed while talkin to you on phone the othertime, and i had to call my client...Please feel free in contacting me back to know the status...am sorry it opted out this way...I meant for no arm

David...
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I meant for no arm
That is a standard reply to get you to believe in him again. You can try telling him that you have notified the FBI and given them the check. They are working on it. Or Just filter his address. If your ISP email has the ability to bounce the emails set that so your email looks to be closed. Otherwise don't reply and just erase the emails. He will give up in a few weeks. Smile

"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic