SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Buy me a laptop

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The old one (HP pavilion zv5000) is making noises, the keys are almost worn through, and the power jack just gave out.

SO- given the fact I do heavy amounts of photo and video editing AND I'm a poor graduate student. What are the suggestions? I don't even know how to look anymore it's been so long since I was in the market for a laptop.

I'm considering buying the exact same model. Is that wise? Surely things have changed since 2004. :P

"I was brought up in a motherless babies home"

"I have the Consignment Code here with me which I will send to you and without this Code no Human Being can open that Box"

pony pony EmailParser pony pony
Ponies taste like cyanide and happiness.
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Call Dell, get the biggest laptop they make, if you want to stay with laptops, tell them you want XP not Vista, 2048ram at least, with additional slots for more, 140 + of gig hard drive,

hiding in the corner behind the desk till the XP/Vista argument stops

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha, yes let's leave the OS debate out of it. I'll just say I'm finally to the point where I am indifferent between them.

As for dell, the best one they make that I've been staring at is $5,000 Sad I'm more in the 500 - 800 range unfortunately.

Are there after-Christmas sales on laptops?

"I have the Consignment Code here with me which I will send to you and without this Code no Human Being can open that Box"

Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you really need a laptop? You'll get a lot more bang for your buck (and a lot more screen real estate for editing) with a desktop.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know, but I do a lot of traveling unfortunately.

Though- I suppose there ARE those new half-pint sized desktop towers. Those look rather portable...

TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^business related traveling, could always try talking boss into getting you a laptop or if own company it can be a write off business expense.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope, just a graduate student with two (soon to be three) homes. Rolling Eyes

Again, hence the cheap part. Wink

DanielM
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why don't you check you those nice Macbooks and MBP?
As a student you get a decent discount and a 'free' ipod. Since most of the software you use for image and video editting was probably develloped by apple anyway that shouldn't be a problem..

I'm currently the owner of a MBP 2,4Ghz version and I couldn't be more happy about it Smile.

"YOU WILL DIE A MISERABLE DEATH AND THE DOGS WILL EAT YOUR FLESH. BASTARD IDIOT. SON OF A NO BODY.YOU WILL REMAIN CURSED FOREVER, THAT YOUR MOUTH THAT YOU USE IN CAUSING OTHERS, MAY IT NEVER TASTE FOOD AGAIN AMEN.... (Followed by a lot of some weird language I do not speak)"
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ JXD, just out of interest, how long did your old heavy usage laptop last from new, until it gave up the ghost?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2.5-3 years, I don't remember exactly when I bought it. I could have it fixed, though of course the repair is as much as buying a new one. Rolling Eyes

And to Daniel, sorry but Macs would have to be free before I'd use them. Please no offense though. Wink

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ JXD, something you could try if funds are short, go to this site:

http://www.freecycle.org

There have been quite a few laptops and desktops offered on my local Freecycle group, once you join a group, you can also send a "wanted, laptop" email to any group you join, someone might have one they want to get rid of, everything given away on Freecycle is free.

Or you could ask if anyone has a broken laptop the same make/model as yours, that you can have for repairs.

[edit]

Juss had a look at the site main page, and saw:

Quote:
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4195 groups with 4196624 members across the globe

Very Happy

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
DanielM
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No offense taken Smile but tell me why exactly then? Because I can understand that people find them expensive but it seems you've as if you've got a problem with their OS? (Which is rather weird because you can boot windows on them too) I only made the switch begin october myself and besides the fact it's harder to find illegal software I have yet to meet any problems :p
(Just asking as I'm intrigued by your answer Very Happy)

"YOU WILL DIE A MISERABLE DEATH AND THE DOGS WILL EAT YOUR FLESH. BASTARD IDIOT. SON OF A NO BODY.YOU WILL REMAIN CURSED FOREVER, THAT YOUR MOUTH THAT YOU USE IN CAUSING OTHERS, MAY IT NEVER TASTE FOOD AGAIN AMEN.... (Followed by a lot of some weird language I do not speak)"
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I could get the exact same model on ebay for ~250 but I'm not sure if it works to just 'swap the harddrives' or what that will do.

And I don't want to make this into a mac debate, so I'll just say I don't like glowing white plastic curves? Also: can't stand iPods or their whole iMarketing system. Basically, I like windows, it's always done what I wanted, (and that's a lot) and everything's compatible with it.

Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is what I did this summer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ then got the best notebook I could for under $500.00.

turned out to be a decent gateway, Dual core & 80 gig & 1 gig ram, Of course it came with Vista basic which I dumped but if it works for you ( Pause for Ha ha moment) then stick with it. If not get the install CD's from HP and try to install XP on it. Sometimes you can install from a different manufactures disk just use the COA from the old Laptop.

I feel your pain. My DV9005 just died and I have to send it off for repair. I actually purchased and put in a new MB which lasted for about 40 seconds before frying so it's off to the shop for that laptop. Sad
notobescammed
Radio Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure where in this world you live but if your in the UK, you can get a free Dell laptop when you buy AOL broadband at the Carphone Warehouse... Maybe an option?

http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/aol_eligibility.php?NODE_ID=11466

you are trying to ask me if Iam a robber? is this correct? - Dr Usman
My own version meaning of the word (SCAM) {The Transaction you will start that will never end! - Kw3s1
Sometimes the truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off - Kw3s1

Pith Helmet Birthday Safari - Co Bait with FrumpyBB and Redshoes17

Click here to support 419Eater.com Nurse Nastys Audi TT
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerSkype Name
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Better to pay for a laptop then spend 2 years stuck with AOL. Freecycle's probably the best way to go, or try and find out about local computer user groups and give them a call to see if they have any laptops for sale, often they will.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

XP or Linux over Vista any day. I've never known such a slow operating system.

If you want years of risky free use. Get yourself one of these:

Heat is the number one killer for all pc's but especially laptops. Dust and blocked ports the main culprit.
Remember to vacuum around the ports using a brush attachment every six months or so.
Prop up the back of your laptop so the ports are clear of the surface it's on.
A book is better than nothing.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rodus wrote:
Better to pay for a laptop then spend 2 years stuck with AOL.

aaamen

And good point windy, I was definitely not diligent enough in keeping the thing dust-free.

Going to a few stores today to get a better feel for whats out there. Strange how you can spend hours with online shopping but still learn more with a half-hour in a store. As long as you can dodge the 'can I help you' monsters. Shocked

Cool

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

windypops wrote:
... If you want years of risky free use. Get yourself one of these: ...

Yeah, but if you *really* want years of risky free use. Get yourself one of these:

Laughing

Not even Bill Gates could screw that one up.
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Not even Bill Gates could screw that one up.

You sure about that?

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Exactly, Clippy the bastard paperclip gets an upgrade:

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you are in the US, I would suggest that you try Pricewatch. It's a price bot.

http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/

If you are in the US but not in California, I would suggest Newegg as you will not have to pay sales tax.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&page=2

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
jxd
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah. Had forgotten pricewatch thanks!

@kleindoofy
the REAL questions is, how can I bait that guy trying to scam me on my abacus. Wink

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

operatorhere
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could always get a laptop like mine.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic