SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Anyone heard of Terry Golden?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mercyc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been chatting with Mr. Golden whom I met on a dating site. He is doing a computer job in Nigeria, lives in WA. In the beginning we were chatting to get to know each other romantically. Then recently, he has asked me for $150 to hold him over until he comes home next week b/c he has run out of cash for food.

So b/c he had maxed out his credit cards, he was going to send me a check and when it clears I could wire him back the money thru Money Gram. Accept this is the suspect part, the check is for $5500. I gave him my work address and then when he gave me the tracking info for the check thru a Parcel Direct, the website indicated it was signed by some TV character.
He claims the Parcel company made a mistake & will redeliver.

My gut feels this whole is a scam. I am not stupid, I know not to cash a check without having it clear or verifying funds.

How does this situation sound to you all?
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It smells so badly of scam I was in the other room and it drew me to the PC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
have been chatting with Mr. Golden whom I met on a dating site. He is doing a computer job in Nigeria, lives in WA. In the beginning we were chatting to get to know each other romantically. Then recently, he has asked me for $150 to hold him over until he comes home next week b/c he has run out of cash for food.

So b/c he had maxed out his credit cards, he was going to send me a check and when it clears I could wire him back the money thru Money Gram. Accept this is the suspect part, the check is for $5500. I gave him my work address and then when he gave me the tracking info for the check thru a Parcel Direct, the website indicated it was signed by some TV character.
He claims the Parcel company made a mistake & will redeliver.

My gut feels this whole is a scam. I am not stupid, I know not to cash a check without having it clear or verifying funds.

How does this situation sound to you all?

Fake check scam. Suspect bits highlighted in red for you. If he's run out of money for food, how could he be spending time online? Check the headers in the email and Google the IP address to see if you get any other hits. There's a pretty good howto here that'll explain all that to you. If he has your real life information, then drop him like a stone.

Last edited by wayne on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mercy and welcome.

Unfortunately these checks are often cleared by banks. You send the money to your lover and when the bank discovers the fraud (sometimes months later), you will be responsible for paying back the money. If you live in the USA you could also possibly face prosecution.

Everything you describe is so typical of a scammer. They invariably are from a Western Country and business takes them to Africa where somehow they always end up having monetary problems.

I'd immediately stop all communication with him.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
mercyc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the responses thus far. I will heed your advice. How do I get him to stop contacting me? He has my email address but we mostly IM. I can ignore his IM's.
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In yahoo messenger you can appear off line to whoever you don't want to see you. Just right click on his name, choose Stealth Settings and appear permanently off line to him.

If you use an email client that allows you to bounce unwanted emails, block his addy and have his emails bounced. He'll think you've closed your account.

If you use web mail and don't have a refuse, block or bounce feature, then send an email to yourself but purposefully screw up your address. It will get bounced back to you. Then you will have the verbiage that your email host uses to bounce emails and all you have to do is reply to the next email he sends you by copying and pasting that bounce information into your reply. Be sure to alter any dates if your email dates and time stamps the bounce.

Eventually he'll go away, but some are pretty persistent.
mercyc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How do I find the IP address of his emails like someone suggested?
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124376#top

Wayne's post, about midway through the page.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As you have figured out, he is a scammer. You are correct to block and or ignore him.

Since you met on a dating site, he probably has some real life information about you. Do not try to mess with him. Block/ignore and leave him alone.

You can find good information on www.scamwarners.com or click on the banner at the top of the page.

If you want to confirm what this bunch of "strangers" is telling you, "google" his name. Once you are convinced, put his information in the Surplus section and let him reap the rewards of his efforts.

This is what to do until you have read stickies and decided to become a baiter using safe baiting techniques. Don't bait from your real life account.

I'm glad you asked before sending funds! Thumbs up

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

mercyc wrote:
... Parcel Direct, the website indicated it was signed by some TV character....

I'm sorry, but does no-one else detect a hint of badger here?
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No.

Badgers (which are really just a type of troll) bait baiters- they don't rip off innocent people they find on dating sites. The lad may have gotten the name from another baiter or it could just be a name that happens to also be the name of a tv character.

Edit: either way, the lad probably doesn't know that this name will make targets of the scam twig, which is a good thing.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Murry Guru
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mercy and welcome, the post you were directed to is part of a thread designed to assist newcomers, do spend the time to read through and come back using it a a resource if required.

For the others, am I the only one detecting something unusual about the courier company being used, where is Oxgen Deprived when you need him as his courier service shares the same name.

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
mercyc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a newcomer, what is a fluffy kitty-cat?

Mod Edit: Unnecessary requote of mercyc's post deleted.
mercyc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Tsnerd,

What are you saying.....Badgers don't rip people off they find on dating sites? The delivery, that I never received, was signed by James T. Kirk-Star Trek captain. Give me a break. I am reading on this site about many people that have been scammed from a dating site.

Mod Edit: Unnecessary full requote of Tsnerd's post deleted.
Murry Guru
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Mercy,

Dont take offence to what they are saying

A fluffy kitty cat spends time baiting baiters, the accusation was directed towards the person who you met on the dating site and not you

The name used by the scammer is a little unusual as well as the courier company suggested may be a company we use regularly who guarentee not to deliver the goods we send to our scammers.

If you have not done so already, read through that entire thread Love baiting for noobs that Wayne directed you towards, it will give you a better understanding of what we are talking about as well as provide usefull guidance if you wish to get some revenge.

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
wayne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mercyc wrote:
What are you saying.....Badgers don't rip people off they find on dating sites?

Tsnerd wrote:
No. Badgers (which are really just a type of troll) bait baiters- they don't rip off innocent people they find on dating sites.

There's a difference between badgers and a scammer, and I think you're confusing the two.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are badgers?
wayne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They're people (read trolls) who think it's funny to waste a scammer's time by pretending to be a lad. What you were dealing with was a lad (read scammer).

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wayne wrote:
They're people (read trolls) who think it's funny to waste a scammer's time by pretending to be a lad. What you were dealing with was a lad (read scammer).

I think that Wayne meant baiter instead of scammer Smile

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
wayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Embarassed I knew that....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic