SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How stupid are they really? - Newbie question

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Drumming Gorilla
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having read a few correspondences and replied to the first scam myself, I have started to consider a few things. All of the scammers seem to be extremely stupid, but surely, sooner or later, to some extent they will start figuring our tricks out!?! Could scammers even be watching sites like this to figure out which scams we know of and which we don't? What is the general development here?

cheers, TGD
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think lads are more lazy then just plain stupid. They cannot understand why baiters bait so they appear stupid but most really aren't. As far as them visiting this site, yes they have. I think SP and jojobean had one ask about a bait that was in progress. I don't think that's too common though since most wouldn't want to use up there cafe time browsing sites like this.

Oh and welcome here Smile

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
redshoes17
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
All of the scammers seem to be extremely stupid

Hi and welcome to Eater. They are greedy, it should not be assumed that they are stupid. I have a few that are very good at what they do.

Safari Dan Benin City to Lagos
Safari ARK Tamale to Kumasi
star Hello Kitty! Mortar x41
I don't need you alone for sex. w1l13

i was ashamed this money money was not in the system when we got there to cash it,it made me and my family lawyer look like little children Godwin

'because no one want your progress not every one want your goat to give birth to twins as the man who see tomorrow told me when i visit him in the shrine Godwin

i was rubbed by rubber last friday, they collectted all my money and my phones.
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I agree with Ghost's sentiment.

Think about it from their shoes. They consider what they do as "work". They spend hours on the computer trying to cultivate victims to pay them money. They would most certainly not do it for fun, they do it because there is a pay day in it for them. Even the notion of just scamming for fun (not money) is foreign to them.

So then try to reconcile how foreign it must be for them to imagine that someone is out there wasting copious amounts of the scammers time by indulging in the fantasy instead of actually being a willing and ready participant.

It is, in all logical senses, unlikely that someone would do such a thing (in their minds anyway). They believe that everyone wants something, and that something is wealth. What they don't figure is that we're here for the greater good and do what we do as volunteers. This is something they cannot understand and refuse to accept because it complicates matters too much for them... I mean, take a step back... it is a little ludicrous that someone would communicate with a scammer for a year for nothing other than to waste his time. While we can certainly justify it, they can't.

I don't think they're all "stupid". Some are well educated and speak a second language (namely English) far better than I speak any second languages.

It is the temptation of the easy life and the cheap efforts for big pay off that make them appear so stupid.

That said... some are genuinely stupid... and often, they're the most painful Laughing

As for them figuring it all out and learning our tactics:

Some of them do, and they know that if you ask for a trophy photo within the first few emails you're a "joker". That's because those baiters have no patience, and this is something that the lad can relate to, because the lads also have little patience.

But on the whole, they don't have time (nor the inclination) to spend hours reading baiting sites trying to figure it all out. They pay for their internet time and they would much prefer spending it sending emails to potential victims than researching the enemy they don't even know exists.

A few occasionally stumble across this site, for example, but they don't learn anything. They do become more suspicious, but that works in our favour and means they're more likely to drop a real victim when that victim acts a little irrational themselves.

Welcome btw! Very Happy Hope that helps answer your questions.

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
All of the scammers seem to be extremely stupid

If you go into baiting with that mindset, you'll just be hamstringing yourself.

Some lads know about Eater and what we do here. Some occasionally join. It doesn't matter, particularly- they don't get baiting or why we would waste our time doing it if there isn't any money to be made.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could turn the question around and ask why the victims fall prey to tales of deposed dictators wanting to hand over millions of dollars for no good reason.

The lure of money tends to make people lose touch with reality. Scammers often accuse their victims of being nothing more than greedy people who get what they deserve, so there is a delicious irony in turning the tables on them.

There is nothing easier than deceiving conmen/scammers as they are usually too conceited and arrogant to believe someone they have marked as a 'mugu' (fool) can turn the tables on them.

Welcome - you'll enjoy it.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think the lads are stupid. (Ok, a few of them are really dumb). I think that for the most part, they let us get away with our shenanigans because they don't care. They just want money from us. They go along with our stories and ploys because they either don't understand them because of the cultural references, don't understand them for the reasons posted above (why would we do it?) and as I already said, they really don't care if we tell them wild stories, as long as we're willing to pay money.
The smarter ones are more fun to bait. Wink (and we're probably doing more of a service by baiting those, because they are more likely to get more victims)

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
The Drumming Gorilla
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, yeah I guess stupid might not be the right word here. On the surface though, the things you guys can make them believe is way beyond what I ever imagined.

@ Ima Baeder, how do you distinquish between the smarter and the less smart scammers? Any particular examples? (Reading Shiver's Artful Dodger now and find it very enjoyable)...
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's very difficult to generalise and I am always attracted by home made scam scripts that are laughable, and though they are clearly being used by idiots they tend to make unproductive baits. That's usually because those Lads tend to lack the imagination and sophistication to understand even simple requests.

I have one now, for whom I have been trying to get a simple character reference from his banker which, in the situation, is quite amusing but the joke is long lost as he is totally clueless.

Ideally you want a self confident Lad who 'thinks' he's smart, but how you tell them from a distance, I can't help. Well, I say that, but I have been mass baiting some Lotto Lads and looking for those who will work for me, but it has never developed further than that as I can't pull off a Ladspeak phone call, but those who responded are likely to be more susceptible to being led off script. I have saved their details for future use.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's hard to tell the intellect of a lad until you've baited them for a while. Once you get them off script, it starts becoming clearer.
That said, a few indicators of brain power might be: Willingness to go off script (though that could be command of English, less lazy or less stubborn), and unpredictability. Some of the lads are so damn predictable that it gets really boring to bait them. Again, this is hard to tell until you've baited them for a while. I did a dollar chop on a lad who stayed pretty calm and said that the criminal had been apprehended (I blamed it on a nearby lad) the money had been recovered and received, and he wanted to move on to the next installment of payment. Laughing (that is not what I anticipated his reaction would be).

Since you're completely new to baiting, you're probably not going to be able to tell if you have a smart one or not for a while, as you have no basis for comparison. Don't worry about it too much. Just start baiting. You'll learn as you go. There's no penalty for messing up and having a lad drop you. Wink

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic