SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

The Ubuntu plunge

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginch
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally did it - downloaded ISO image of Linux Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn", burned disc, installed OS as dual-boot with XP, and . . . warm, fuzzy feeling! Next, checked for updates and was offered upgrade to 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", which I promptly installed . . . manic, monkey-ish feeling! After a period of just looking at it in slack-jawed admiration, I decided to DO something with it. Hence this post, brought to you thru Firefox 2.0.0.8 running on Ubuntu 7.10.

Works for me! Very Happy

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dual booting makes sense for noobs. I did that to start with and then found out how to configure Ubuntu to do all the things I needed. The forum @ ubuntuforums.org is very good if you get into problems.

After a while you may find that you no longer need Microsoft's products at all!

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You might also want to install the kubuntu-desktop package and give KDE a whirl (you can select it from the "Session Type" menu when you log in once it's installed).

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
aggg
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I did the same last week... enjoying it so far.. except that I can't get our wireless networking to operate at all.

MrMe
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aggg: google ndiswrapper - should help you out, although it can be quite technical getting it sorted, but its worth it.

Ginch: if you haven't already, do a "sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager" once ur running gutsy, then
System->Prefs->Advance System Effects. Have fun Very Happy

<a href="?t=125626">MTCN S3cur3</a> Endorsements:

I am almost having a bad sight as a result of click on the box

my eyes are paining me now cos i have been
looking at the computer for more than six hours

you cannot subject me to this suffering

i am sick and tired of this shit.

I don't go with this Idea at all, this is not how business is done

whenever i make mistake even at the peak of retrieving the numbers i would ask to go back to the begining and this has virtually consumed all my time by doing this

i cant stress my self any more..I now have a back pain cos of this

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gnome is pretty good, and it's further from MS land than KDE, but the KDE printing stuff beats it into a cocked hat. If you get any annoyancies from that quarter I believe the package you want is "kprinter". It runs under Gnome, no problem.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wireless not working can be caused by any number of things; not just a driver problem. And I would recommend you don't use ndiswrapper unless you have no other choice. Linux wifi drivers are better and are much more prevalent than they were a few years ago.

If you post what wifi chipset you have and what the symptoms of the problem are, I am confident it can be fixed.

Gnome is a modular desktop while KDE is an integrated desktop. KDE is easier to use and is close to windoz for the noob in transition. They have a setup wizard for just about everything you want to setup. Any KDE program will work in Gnome as long as you have the QT package installed with the correct libraries. Once you are comfortable, you can switch to Windowmaker, Enlightenment, Blackbox as a window manager. They are much smaller memory hogs. Enlightenment is 100% customizable. You can make it look exactly like you want and make it work exactly the way you want. I use windowmaker for normal use and KDE for admin work.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Rover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ginch - I'm sure that the more you play with Ubuntu the more you will come to love it. As a desktop it is quite stable - I use my Windows box less and less these days as Ubuntu does almost everything I need.

Latest Anti Fraud News | Email Header Analysis | Help keep Eater running | Join 419Eater on Facebook Easter 2015
aggg
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I've struggled to understand the relevant ubuntu forums and have concluded that my chipset isn't supported - so probably time to get a new usb stick.

it is a ZyDAS 802.11b WiFi 0ace:1201

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://linux-lc100020.sourceforge.net/

Google is your friend as well as mine.

Also check the manufacturer of the adapter as well.

Ask if you don't understand what they are saying. It does say that the 2.6.12 kernel has the drivers built in so if you want to install the newer kernel it will work automagically. If you already have that kernel installed, you may need to load the driver at boot.

"To Serve Man"
aggg
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I tried that - downloaded the drivers etc. Still can't get it to work.

Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

aggg wrote:

it is a ZyDAS 802.11b WiFi 0ace:1201

Mine ID's as a ZyDAS 0x1211 and it started working after I installed a bunch of misc wireless stuff Including the ZD1211 firmware package.

This was actually to get the internal RTL8185 wireless working. But since it didn't, and I got my usb stick working, I claimed a victory and moved on. Rolling Eyes
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you try
"insmod {driver name}" as root?
(some distros use "modprobe {driver name}" some may have both available. I believe that modprobe is the newer usage.
The module must be located in the modules/kernel/drivers/net/wireless directory.)

This will insert the wireless drivers into the kernel and run them during booting.

Also at a root terminal run "lsmod" which will list all the drivers and modules running. If you don't see the driver you think should be running, it isn't and you should insert it with the above command and run "lsmod" again. If it is there, you should have access. If not, try to restart the wifi with (as root)

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
/etc/init.d/network restart

Assuming your wifi network is using 'eth0'. It may be 'eth1' as well. Run "iwconfig" as root to list all your wireless network connections to find out what is assigned to what.

"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic