SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Microsoft Vs Adobe

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When i first heard of silverlight i wasnt really impressed, its a .net *(meaning really big download for end users) and a 2.2mb browser plugin.

What it is - Basically MS version of Flash (*for windows or mac machines)

The big difference - for me i paid over �600 to adobe for cs3, dreamweaver flash etc,
Microsoft make there silverlight FREE.

Which is the better product? - Well silverlight only works on windows servers and for mac/win Adobe runs of any platform for win/mac/linux

Microsoft pip the post by implementing HD 1080 resolution vector graphics, A flash website can look as stunning as you want, with flashlight it can now be done free, as long as your on a windows server

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As a web developer and a linux user, I'd still go with flash, because it's near-ubiquitous cross-platform. The majority of web servers run on linux/unix, which means silverlight wont be available to the majority of web sites (until a Free/open source alternative is made, and I believe it's in the works).

I tend to stick to content that doesn't require plugins.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is it exactly? The reason I ask is my kid has been bugging me to buy him Flash. He says he can make better games with it. He is using something called swishmax I think. He makes games and cartoons with it.

I was thinking I should probably embrace his creativity but Flash is pretty pricey. Is Silverlight something I can use to tide him over for a while?

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ ivor - I fully agree that is how i view it, .net is a fairly chunky download, and a 2.2mb plugin on top of that.

@ghost, as Ivor said its best to go with flash, Silverlight might be free but because .net alone is 23mb+ and requires only windows web servers at this time most are going to stay with flash for a long time to come.

Flash is going to take a hammering but i doubt people will suddenly change its going to take a while.

silverlight is a vector graphics multimedia application, it allows people to create interactive web based applications with video text and images.
Exactly the same as flash does. The big difference is silverlight has HD settings where flash does not.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Furthermore, what's the betting it's IE-only?

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DO, yeah you lost me at .net. What do you mean when you say windows server? My kid just wants to make games and cartoons. The program he is using now does that but he says he can do more with Flash but it's like a $1000.00.

I was looking for something to tide him over until Christmas or until he get his grades up. Would this work? It sounds as if you are talking more about web design but I am completely clueless if it is the same as making games.

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ghost, yup silverlight can make games the same as flash, both products do the same job, however your probably better with flash.

@ivor, i tested it on minefield (*firefox 3.02b pre) it works on that, but then i had to download the minefield ie browser support plugin.

At this stage as i said to ghost stick to flash, but experiment with silverlight, its capable of some ultra cool things.

OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ghost, you could try what I did to save a ton of money (almost 1/2 price if I remember right). I bought off ebay an old Mac version of Flash 4 and used the upgrade offer by using the valid serial number code off of it for the upgrade offer.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the best thing about flash is the alternative "skip flash intro" link most sites that use flash offer. Cool
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks OD I'll keep that in mind. I was actually wondering if that was okay to do. Anyway, the boys grades are pretty bad so he's not getting anything anytime soon Sad

Edit: Also can you upgrade 4 to 8? You don't have to own 7?

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
dlongford
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@kleindoofy: i cant agree more...i hate flash intros, and hate flash based sites...just stick to good old html.
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Never was a truer word said.

D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

aww c'mon without flash where would all those hours at work go? remember youtube lol.

OK i actually agree flash intro's are pointless, unless its a nightclub, but club websites have to be flashy, its part of the unwritten god rule of clubs etc.

@ OD nice way to get cheap flash lol.

were not putting a flash intro on our site OD, i added the tune as a joke while i was drunk Wink thats my excuse and im sticking to it

Actually i might animate KD's avatar, i might use flash or maybe not.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic